Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have had trouble with check engine and vsc trac and vsc

Customer Question
lights, off and on for...
I have had trouble with check engine and vsc trac and vsc lights, off and on for a couple yesrs, i have had to replaced both catalytic converter not at the same time ,this last time sensors was replaced and new plugs , well once again they are on and its showing PO420 right side, I have ordered a new gas cap just to try ...over the past 2 years i had brake pads replaced and rotors i think if i recall right , and one shop wiggled some wire under the drivers seat or steering wheel and turned the lights off ....I am so done with this can you help ?????
JA: Have the O2 sensors been scanned?
Customer: yes they were replaced 2 years ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2004 Toyota 4 Runner limited
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i am not doing it myself , I had 3 different shops to work on it , but with the break pads a friend done them
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i can not think of anything , but i may have left out something we have tried ,,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
10/31/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

sorry to hear about the issue you are having with it

DTC P0420 Bank 1 Catalytic deterioration

1- When the Oxygen sensor Bank1 Sensor 1 Also Called A/F sensor was purchased from dealer or loacl parts store or online , was it OEM Brand ?

2- I sent you a picture of the Oxygen sensor Wave signal ( That is what you need to See) A shop with capable scanner can pul this up live while car running, can you have that wave checked ,2 years ago for sensor could have went bad again .

3- Can you get me fuel trims reading, long term & short term at idle ?

4- If you can get me that info , I can tell you , if we have catalytic issue or oxygen sensor .

5- Is the P0420 the only fault code now ?

6- have the EGR been Checked for being clogged

If at any point during our conversation you like to speak to me on the phone ,feel free to ask me or you can request it on the screen at your convenience and I will call you right away.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat