Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I just noticed that the speedometer, tachometer,

Customer Question
temperature, Ac and brake light...
I just noticed that the speedometer, tachometer, temperature, Ac and brake light of my Camry 2007 xle are acting up. They are all going up and / on and off without control and at will. Any idea what the problem could be?
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Brake fluid is fine but will that affect all the other things
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything just checked the fuse box
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it basically
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
10/30/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Without doing some hands-on tests, it would be difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of this issue, but, based on 20 years of Toyota dealership service department experience here, the first thing that I would be looking at would be the tension of the belt that drives the alternator. If it is loose, the alternator will not develop full output voltage. Second, I would be checking the output voltage of the alternator itself. When the alternator output drops below a specific threshold, certain electrical items cease to function. These would be the instrument cluster, the AC, the radio, etc. Also, the brake light coming on with a full brake fluid reservoir is usually indicative of an alternator issue. The recommendation I have for you would be to have the alternator output tested. The specification is 13,8 to 14.4 volts DC. IF the output voltage is lower than 13.8, replace the alternator.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your response. How do i check the voltage of the alternator

The voltage is measured via a DC voltmeter on the 20 volt scale. Red lead to the positive battery post, black to the negative battery post. Start the car and measure. There is another test, for amperage (critical) that requires a special test device. These are commonly found in auto repair shops. The alternator should be producing over 50 amps output with a full load. If the alternator is only outputting 10-15 amps, replace it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are the chances that this could be caused by a slacked engine belt?
If the belt is very slack, yes. The belt needs to be tensioned properly so it moves the alternator drive pulley which causes electrical power to be created.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have sent the car to the auto shop. The have carried out various checks and they suspect the ABS pump. What do you think?
I would be expecting them to flat out guarantee that an ABS pump fixes this issue. That is a very large expense to be guessing at. Personally, I'm not so sure it is the cause.
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert