Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I am hearing a ticking noise constantly on a 2007 Toyota

Customer Question

I am hearing a ticking noise constantly on a 2007 Toyota Highlander (3.3L) under the dash with the ignition switch on and engine off. I pinpointed this to be the mode door actuator under the dash on the driver's side. I can see the mechanism for the mode actuator moving as it should while operating the directional airflow.Everything works normal as it is suppose to. However, with the engine off and with the ignition key removed from the ignition lock cylinder I can still hear and see the mechanism moving back and forth slowly (ticking noise apparent). What is the problem here since I never used to hear this ticking sound before? Do I need to replace the mode door actuator or can I just quiet the noise down with wd40 spray? Thanks for your help.

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

what you hearing is the actuator motor gear skipping of the internal blend door gear or mode ,depends which one making noise

so replacement of the actuator will be necessary .

the reason why you keep hearing it after you turn switch off is , it supposed to go back to the default position when off, but it cant because of the broken gear , so it will try turning few times to get there then it will stop and time out of after a certain amount if time

Please let me know if that works for you or you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for providing that answer.
I need replacement instructions for mode door actuator replacement. In the past I have replaced them on ford windstars and gmc envoys.
Do you know where the temperature door is located and access to it?

ok let me see what i have on it and send it to you

thois what i have on it , i t is 2.1 hour job , the dashboard trim covers has to be removed to get to it ,depends which one making noise there is 2 on passenger side and one driver side

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace

B 2.1 labor hours

1. INSPECT AIR INLET CONTROL SERVO MOTOR a. Remove the air inlet control servo motor. b. Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 5 and negative (-) lead to terminal 2, then check that the lever turns to "FRESH" side smoothly. c. Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 1 and negative (-) lead to terminal 5, then check that the lever turns to "RECIRCULATION" side smoothly. NOTE: While using the battery during inspection, do not bring the positive and negative tester probes too close to each other as a short circuit may occur. If the operation is not as specified, replace the air inlet control servo motor.

1. INSPECT AIR OUTLET CONTROL SERVO MOTOR a. Remove the air outlet control servo motor. b. Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 4 and negative (-) lead to terminal 5, then check that the lever turns to "DEF" position. c. Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 5 and negative (-) lead to terminal 4, then check that the lever turns to "FACE" position. NOTE: While using the battery during inspection, do not bring the positive and negative tester probes too close to each other as a short circuit may occur. If the operation is not as specified, replace the air outlet control servo motor.

1. INSPECT AIR MIX CONTROL SERVO MOTOR a. Remove the air mix control servo motor. b. Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 4 and negative (-) lead to terminal 5, then check that the lever turns to "COOL" side smoothly. c. Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 5 and negative (-) lead to terminal 4, then check that the lever turns to "HOT" side smoothly. NOTE: While using the battery during inspection, do not bring the positive and negative tester probes too close to each other as a short circuit may occur. If the operation is not as specified, replace the air mix control servo motor.

that is all i have on it

hope that helps

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

To be specific, I need instructions for replacing ONLY the mode door actuator on the driver's side.I need to know how to gain access to it, how to remove the trim panels etc. Thanks.
Is the actuator unbolted from inside the ductwork or is is unbolted externally similarly to ford windstar and gmc envoys?

I m sorry i don't have that info, i have all the manuals possible but no showing on r & r for trim panels , i will opt out of the question and another expert might have it for you