Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Corolla 2013 climate switch (defrost, a/c and the other one)

Customer Question

Corolla 2013 climate switch (defrost, a/c and the other one) no more came On.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I installed a remote starter on my car. I installed the rear defroster option. When I wanted plug wire behind the switch, in place of beige, i plug into the red. Obviously there has been a spark. I continued my setup anyway. the defrost system works with my starter without problems. But I can no longer lit with the switch. I thought the fuse had blown, but they are all ok inside the fuse box near my battery in the hood.. There have there other fuse?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anytime

Below is the wire diagram for this system.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/defogger.pdf

Do you know which style you have?

Do you have auto or manual climate control?

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi dear, like i told you, the defrost system itself work good because my remote starter can start it. But i cant start it by the switch. So i think this diagram cant help me... and all the 3 switchs on the control panel dont response anymore.

None of the buttons work, AC, defrost, recirculate?

All did work fine prior to the remote start added?

Have you tried disabling this portion of the remote start to see if the functions return?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
everything was working well before the install. The problem start when i actidentialy touch the red wire with my negative wire of my remote starter. Since, no more working on this 3 button

As long as all HVAC fuses are good. Then the HVAC control will have to be replaced to address the short you had.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there any way to test if the hvac control is really dead ? Can i test it with my meter ? When you talking about the hvac control, you talking about the all 3 switch like in the picture ?

With a scan tool to access the AC amplifier you can see if it is or if it is not receiving a signal from the climate control (which is the 3 knob assembly in the center of the dash)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you thinking it's the middle part here was dead ?

That would be correct, without the diag tool to diagnose, that is what I believe is to blame.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's just weird that it's not the fuse that jumped in when I put the negative to the positive wire accidentally...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The middle control, control also the right and left module ?

It should of been a fuse to fail, but when wires start getting crossed sometimes a fuse can not disable the circuit fast enough and you also checked all the fuses. The climate control all 3 knobs in the center of the dash. That is what looks like the repair needs to be prior to diagnosing with a scan tool.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok but before buying a new unit, can i perform any test on the wire the see if we are right ? Because a use part its like 100$... i dont want buy it and its not the problem... maybe can i test if i have 12 volts on red wire or something like this ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my previous question was if the central unit was fail, this unit control also the right and left one ?

It is an assembly all of it is replaced together.

You can test the signals if you have a scan tool.