Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It sounds like marbles in a tin can in the front right hand…

Customer Question
It sounds like marbles...

It sounds like marbles in a tin can in the front right hand side

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

1999 Toyota Corolla

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just some spray on the belt and was going to replace the pully.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which belt are you dealing with? And have you changed one before?

The surpentine belt and no I have not replaced one

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure if the noise is coming from the engine or the pully
10/22/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A 'marbles in a tin can sound' can be one of two problems:

1) the belt pulley could have worn out bearings

2) the water pump impeller shaft bearings may be worn out.

The easiest way to determine this is via a mechanic's stethoscope. Or a long metal rod. Taking care to not touch the rod to the moving parts when the engine is running, touch the scope probe (or the end of the long rod) to the pulley bracket and listen to the 'scope or place the other end of the long rod to your ear. The noise will transmit thru the probe or the rod to your ear. If the pulley is not noisy, touch close to the water pump where it meets the block, again being careful to not touch the moving belt. If the water pump is bad, it will be very easy to tell via the rod or the 'scope. If you are not careful here, your rod or scope will get caught in the belt and this could be dangerous. If you are not comfortable with the recommended diagnosis, a trip to a shop will be in order. It will only take them 5 minutes for this diagnosis.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.