Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

It's a 2006 Highlander hybrid. My stepson broke the

Customer Question
Hi Pearl!. It's a 2006...
Hi Pearl!. It's a 2006 Highlander hybrid. My stepson broke the taillights driving the car. Now it won't pass inspection. I got the replacement taillights (without bulbs), but I can't figure out how to put the new ones in. I looked all over and I can't figure out how to take the old broken frames out and put new ones in...
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: Yep. It's just the cover that is broken.
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Bying the new casings for tail lights.
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: So, is there any advice as to how to take the tail light casing out and replace it with a new one?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's all...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
10/20/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Kurt Kennedy,
 replied 1 year ago
Kurt Kennedy

Hello! My names Kurt and I am the Toyota master tech that will be helping you today.
Do you have access to basic hand tools?

This is a pretty simple project. There is a cover in the back you remove, then a connector. Once that is removed, you will see two 10mm nuts that need to be removed. Once those are removed, you will be able to wiggle and pull the whole tail light assembly out of the car.

Install the new one just how the old one came out and you should be good to go. I attached the directions in a PDF file as well.

Please feel free to ask any more questions and please do not forget to rate your service today!

THank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** *****'ll try it right away. I do have basic tools that should work. I did remove the access covers inside, but could not figure out how to get the light assemblies out. Didn't remove the electric connector, so, probably, this is why I could not see the nuts. Thanks for advice, Kurt.
Toyota Mechanic: Kurt Kennedy,
 replied 1 year ago

Anytime! You can always come back to this post and ask questions, send me pictures or whatever we need to do to make sure you can get this light fixed!

Also, please dont forget to rate my service!
Thank you!

Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy