Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

The front crossmember hit a curb and pushed the driver side

Customer Question

The front crossmember hit a curb and pushed the driver side lower arm back amout 4 inches.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't decided, I am expecting 2 estimates tomorrow.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, other than the tundra has been ignored over the last 5 years.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. An impact that knocked the lower control arm back 4 inches is a rather sever impact. That is far beyond the lateral movement that could possible happen with the arm moving. You may have more than a bent arm. A the very least, you need a shock and a spindle, and, possible the services of a frame shop to make sure that the frame member is not bet or kinked.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

bent not bet

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Call a mechanic? That's the best you can do? And to think I paid $5.00 for that! I'm more stupid than I thought!
With all due respect, I did not tell you to "call a mechanic". I mentioned you have a substantial impact on the steering/suspension/frame of this vehicle that You said was in the process of having estimates done. If you are not aware of this, these vehicles are known for severe rust issues with regard to the frames. The frame may be bent beyond repair if your frame is severely rusted. That is why you may need a frame shop to determine if the frame is good or bad. A bad frame would be very dangerous to drive. I was not avoiding the issue or bailing out on you. You asked, I answered, and I requested you ask any other questions. Nowhere did I insult your intelligence. If you desire additional assistance I would be very glad to answer any further questions you may have. Thanks.