Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My 2005 Toyota Sequoia has 125,000 miles on it. Lately it

Customer Question
has had intermittent difficulty starting...
My 2005 Toyota Sequoia has 125,000 miles on it. Lately it has had intermittent difficulty starting. When I turn the key and release, nothing happens. After about two seconds, I hear a click and that's it. Repeat this a few times and it will sometimes start. It has a new battery and the battery voltage at the time of these events is normal. The local dealer replaced the starter. Then they replaced the starter again about a month later thinking that maybe the new starter was bad. Then they replaced a relay (don't know which one), but I am still having the problem. Any thoughts? Stewart in SC
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
10/17/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Fixitman, Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** sounds like you either have an issue with the ignition switch or the positive battery cable. Most of the time this occurs when the battery cable has internal resistance which will cause this. If the cable is fine then the ignition switch is bad. It is common for the ignition switch to fail internally and cause this. A voltage drop test of the switch would need to be done to properly diagnose this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help. Is the ignition switch in the steering column or remotely located? Is this something I can fix myself with reasonable ability and experience?

It is located behind the key lock cylinder.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician