Lou P
Lou P, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.
27644750

We have a 2004 Avalon that keeps dying. We have replaced the

Customer Question

We have a 2004 Avalon that keeps dying. We have replaced the battery and alternator twice and have have brought it to a dealership where they could not find anything. They have checked the electrical system and all seems fine. It only has 45,000 miles on it. The ABS and VSC lights also come on for a little bit after I jump it. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!
JA: Do you happen to know the code? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: It is at the dealership now, where they replaced the battery again free of charge since it is still under warranty. We will ask them about reseting the computer. What is the "code" and how do you find it?
JA: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, it is at a dealer, but we feel they must be missing something. We have had it in for service at least 4 times in the last year. First they changed the battery, then the alternator, then the alternator again and now the battery again.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Lou P replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P replied 10 months ago.

what needs to happen is you need to have done whats called a "quiescent draw test", we technicians hook up a meter to the battery to see how much power it is pulling when the car is off,. there is a spec that the reading has to meet, if it does not meet that spec then they start pulling fuses to see what will kill that excess draw. this is a very tedious test but effective, it sounds like they are not attempting to do this test. that is what needs to be done, Lou P.