Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2007 tundra 5.7L and the dashboard is not

working... none of the gauges...
I have a 2007 tundra 5.7L and the dashboard is not working... none of the gauges are working and the odometer is not lighting up either also truck will not start the truck as been sitting for 10 months
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: yes and yes! checked for power as well
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I fixed the broken wires that the mud flap destroyed on the right from the wire goes to the same wiring harness for the ignition coils
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/14/2016
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, will the truck at least crank?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi David,
Yes the truck turns over. All the fuses are working. Checked the relays. No fuel getting to the engine. Do activity going to that dash.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is my landlords truck, I was suppose to replace the transmissions. But after sitting for 10 months, there where broken wire on the right front next to the wheel well. I fixed the wire and was hoping that was the only issue why the truck was not starting.
Now that I have the wire fixed and the spark is back still not starting.ThanksPatrick

can you here the fuel pump run for a few seconds when the key is in the run position?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuel pump is not turning on. There is power going to the pump. Normally I would assume its a bad fuel pump but because the dash is completely out, I'm thinking there might be another problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it seem like the computer is not talking to the dash anymore.

the dash not working will not inhibit the fuel pump from working on your truck. you have multiple issues. i wil pull up a print to confirm this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks! .... so its safe to say that the fuel pump is toast! Now about the dash not registering nothing.

so when you turn the key on you get no light? no check engine, no abs, nothing? no instruments lighting?

i gotta get to my shop running super duper late. ill talk to you in about 45 minutes..cool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no lights, no abs, no instruments. nothing except the the 'P' lights up for park.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cool! Thank you!

just for shits and gins, disconnect both battery terminals touch them together for about 15 seconds. reconnect. see if that helps with the lights.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try that in a few hours when I get home from work

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did what you recommended and still the same.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just connected my code reader and there is no communication. Keeps erroring on the linking

Ok . check for 12vdc on pin 16 at dlc connector

grounds at 4 and 5

3.5vdc at pin 7

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dave, so I checked pin 7 and 16 which is good

ok. check the fuse for the cigarette lighter....

that sometimes ties into the dlc

also when you turn the key to the on postion do any instrument panel lights come on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

check all the wiring in the engine bay again. inspect it thoroughly. there has to being a chewed through wire or 2. has to be. dont just look at the wiring. feel it all the around the wiring. pay particular attention to were any wiring goes under the plenum or down the side.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do...thanks

any luck?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found the chewed up wire harness..I'll let you tomorrow evening how it's going after I repair them all

great. im sure that will solve the issue. Please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you feel ive helped you find the issue. i can leave this open after you rate me if you'd like in case we need to go further. thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi David, thank you very much for your help. 33 wires I repaired. It just about started but the battery was low. I'm charging the battery now for tomorrow. Its nice to hear the engine fire up a Little bit...

great! glad to hear it. please dont forget to rate me. thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You'll definitely get a 5 star rating from me!

thanks, ***** ***** have to do is accept the answer when you're ready

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dave I need ur help again... Truck still doesn't start but now all wires are fixed and replaced, I can talk to the computer now.. No power going to the fuel pump. The wires that goes to the fuel pump come from the fuel pump control. I have power going to the fuel pump control (only 1 wire hot when key on ON) but nothing coming out of it. Is there something I need to look out for? I'm pretty sure the part is bad but I wasn't sure there need to be more then 1 wire hot....Thanks *****

ok. give me a moment.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks !

let me go back and look at the prints again. thanks

i gotta get some sleep. ill catch up with you in the morning

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic