Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

My nav/radio won't work. It has power as it shows a computer

Customer Question

My nav/radio won't work. It has power as it shows a computer screen then a line like its downloading but then nothing.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Yes it is good.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2014 RAV4 limited
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 Limited yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have check the fuse and disconnected the negative ground for 1 minute.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Was there anything that preceded this happening, such as battery changed or anything else? Does the line move across the screen? Does it say 'loading please do not turn off power'?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No battery change the line moves across screen 3 times then the screen goes blank like the radio is off. It does not say loading.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, sounds like there is a malfunction with the head unit itself. There is 1 thing to try, though. Disconnect the battery for minimum 30 minutes. This allows all the capacitors to discharge and completely drain all power from the unit. This is the only way to perform a hard reset and start over. If that does not work, you will need to replace the head unit. Depending on your mileage, it could still be under warranty. If not, you don't need to buy a new unit as there is an exchange program through the dealer parts department that significantly reduces the cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. Why would the head unit suddenly stop working? as I research problems on line this is a common acourance and wonder why Toyota has not remind this issue that has been on going for a few years.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

I work at a busy toyota dealership and have only seen this a few times. It's not really very common considering the number of vehicles on the road. There are a couple possible causes for it. One is a 'system' malfunction, just like a computer that has an issue with a memory chip or hard drive. The other is an actual mechanical issue such as a pinched or rubbed wire inside the unit. Unfortunately, these units aren't made by Toyota, but by outside vendors and therefore they will not let us open them up to work on the inside. Which is why they have the exchange program.