Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I'll be honest, I've been less than enthused with the last

Customer Question
few responses I received....
I'll be honest, I've been less than enthused with the last few responses I received. They just weren't at all helpful.
In this case I just need to know if what I'm being told is accurate or if it's "smoke", and maybe a little guidance afterwards.
1995 Toyota Corolla 1.6L engine. Just died and then wouldn't start. Checked distributor, fuel pump, ECU. We get spark. We have fuel. Starts and then immediately dies (had been working fine before all this). Now we're being told that the security system is shutting the car off, and that we need to disable it (or replace it?).
1. Is this an accurate possible diagnosis (I'm skeptical)?
2. If so, any instructions on how to do this (searched but can't find anything online)?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
10/11/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I apologize if your previous responses were not up to your standards. I will do my best to assist you. Right now I am at my work, but when I get off at 7 pm east coast time I will be very glad to help you out. Would this be acceptable to you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

That's fine.

Excellent. In the meantime, please tell me if you still have spark and fuel when it shuts down, and, does it have the Toyota security system ?
The Toyota security will not disable fuel. Only the starter is addressed when the system is active.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

The symptoms remain the same, We restart it and it starts and then immediately dies. Not sure how I can tell if there is an anti-theft system. I read something about an anti-theft ECU (which I assume is different from the main ECU behind the console).

I've been told so many different things that I'm beginning to doubt everything. I believe there is gas and spark.

The Toyota system would have a flat black box under the driver seat.
The Toyota system will have a flat black box under the driver front seat. We will also need a 12 volt D.C. test light or D.C. voltmeter for a few tests.

Ok. Please advise what (if any) lights illuminate on the instrument panel when the engine shuts off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I found some kind of flat black security device under the drivers side dash called a Clifford Arrow II. It has a rectangular connector with 2 rows of wires connecting to it. I will look under the seat.

Update: I don't see anything under the seat except a black wire and a 2 or 4 pin connector.

I have both a test light and a voltmeter.

Ok. The Clifford Arrow is an aftermarket type of security system. When it is armed, the power to the starter is prevented.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

The starter seems to work just fine. After the engine shuts off, the check engine, oil and battery lights are on. I think they are on when the key is just in the On position.

The very first thing we need to check is the easiest, but is the most common... the tube from the air filter box to the intake manifold. Are there any cracks or rips in the tube?

ALso, under the hood, there is a white label. On the engine section, please advise if you have a 4A-FE or a 7A-FE engine. A 95 corolla could have either engine installed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

It's good. It's now dark and just started raining. Could you possibly list the next several things to check?

You need to locate the diagnostic connector under the hood. Open it and look under the lid for a label. Find the following sockets: E1 and Te1

With a paper clip, insert each end of the clip into those terminals. one end into E1 and the other end into Te1. Turn the key on and advise what the check engine light is doing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Engine code 14. I believe that this is saying that the ECU is not reading the ignition signal.

I have received your update. I will research this and get back to you after work. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

And just to recap, we've replaced the distributor and fuel pump. We have spark and fuel. Car starts. It just immediately dies.

Loss of the Ignition signal to the igniter from the distributor or loss of the ignition signal from the igniter to the computer is the most likely cause. It is possible you have a bad replacement distributor, it is possible that you have a bad igniter. Igniter failures, however, are very rare. If this vehicle was in my shop, the very first thing I would be doing is some power checks. Let's check something if the weather is ok...locate the igniter unit, and then locate the Black with an orange stripe wire that is in the igniter wire connector. First, test the battery voltage across the battery terminals and record that value. Then plug your voltmeter red lead to this wire and ground the black lead. Set the meter to 20 volts DC. Start the car and observe the meter. See if your voltage fluctuates, or is less than battery voltage.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I think it would be wise for me to rep[eat my original question here:

---------------------------

Country: United States
Make: Toyota
Model: Corolla
Year: 1995
Engine: 1.6L

Already Tried:
As we said, changed distributor, cap, rotor, fuel pump, fuel filter and ECU. Car starts and then immediately dies. We get spark, and there is fuel.

I understand your question. I do not believe the security system is the issue. I do believe that the igniter may be the issue, or, your replacement distributor is faulty. The above test looks to see if we are losing B+ power to the igniter. For whatever reason, we are losing the signal to the computer form the igniter. This only comes form one of four things. No power to the igniter, the igniter is bad, the distributor is bad or the ECU is bad.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert