Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

The 2008 Corolla surges at hiway speeds only when going up,

Customer Question
The 2008 Corolla surges at...
The 2008 Corolla surges at hiway speeds only when going up hill
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and just checking out the web
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: car had an exhaust leak that I corrected and I had the cads checked out at a muffler shop and exhaust was fine
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your MPG been lately?
Customer: 130k and after exhaust was fixed it went from 25 mpg to 38mpg
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
10/10/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, does the check engine light turn on when this happens and then go back off or does the light stay on?

About how long has it been doing this and has anything done to the engine, any parts replaced recently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No! none of that happens while I'm driving up hill when it is surging or hunting. I'm not entirely sure that it is the motor caussing the surging but we can fell it and hear it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am hard of hearing and slow is better that nothing

Thanks, ***** ***** hard on a flat road does it do this then as well?

You mentioned it had 130,000 miles on it, if the spark plugs have never been replaced I would recommend doing that at this time, the spark plugs may be breaking down under load,.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech