Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I own a 2006 Rav4 and I hear a rubbing/ clunk sound as I

Customer Question

I own a 2006 Rav4 and I hear a rubbing/ clunk sound as I steering away to the left as I pull away from the curb every morning. I had the brake pads replaced and the rotors front and back along with brake flush. This sound started about 2 to 3 weeks after the replacement. I need some advice. Thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 9 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting, at this time I don't have a specific answer but with some more info I'll try to come up with something. I can give you a few suggestions what to check. check the wheel lug nuts make sure they are tight, check the brake pad metal backing plate to see if it may be rubbing against the brake rotor, this will usually cause a noise while driving and turning. he question I have is , does the noise happen any other time or only that once in the morning when turning left? Can you duplicate the noise by just turning the wheel or does the car have to be moving?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It occurs in the in the morning. I hear only in the morning when I steer to the left away from the curb. I hear the sound and stops when I brake at the light and sometimes again when I make a left turn at the light and sound disappears rest of day.

Thanks for the reply, it's important to know if this only happens when the car is moving or just while turning the steering wheel, can you duplicate it without the car moving?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Only when I steer away to the left...not while car is moving.

Thanks, ***** ***** some known issues with the steering columns on these that cause a clunking noise when turning the steering wheel, Toyota had issued a service bulletin to address this concern, the rubbing noise could be coming from the rubber insulator in the firewall where the column passes through, this can usually be eliminated with lubrication. I will see if I can give you a link to the service bulletin in my reply.

www.jeeptrip.co.il/upload/File975998.pdf

Please copy this link into your browser for a copy of the bulletin

I need to step out for a few minutes, hope this answers your concerns.

I'll be back in about one hour, let me know if I can answer any other questions about this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay got service bulletin...if I feel this is the problem how much does the dealership charge for replacement?

My best guess would be about 2 hours labor pus the parts about 150, figure close to $350 total

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you

You're welcome , regards, Ted.