Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have 2009 toyota fj cruiser manual transmission there is

Customer Question

hi
i have 2009 toyota fj cruiser manual transmission
there is problem:
1- sometime i hear knock sound if drive car from 0 mph with 2nd gear
2- if i press brake pedal, rpm idle drop down to 400
3- sometime my engine shake quick just 1 second (look like you turn the key off and you turn on quick)
but this 3 problem not always happen only once a day
4- my car become very slow and no torque hard to reach 80 mph
but i do everything change (air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter) clean throttle body and clean fuel injection
but nothing change still same problem
thanks
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also i checked ignition coilsand i use premium gas 95 octane change to 97 octanebut still nothing change
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if the CHECK ENGiNE light is illuminated at the instrument panel. Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no check engine no code

Thank you. Please do the following for me: Find a large, open empty lot or parking area free of trees, cars, or other things. Long and flat. (this is in case you do nto do the flollowing test properly, and the vehicle moves:

Start the vehicle. Put the vehicle in second gear. Hold the brake and, with your braking foot, raise the RPMS to 2500 rpm. Slowly let the clutch out, but do not let off of the brake. You want to keep the vehicle from moving. When the clutch pedal if fully out, and, the vehicle does NOT stall out, you need a clutch replacement. This really sounds like you need a clutch replacement even without the test. Be Careful if you perform this test. The vehicle could launch forward on you and hit something. If you have ANY reservations about doing this, do NOT do it. Get a service tech to do it for you. That is probably the best and safest thing for you if you cannot risk this test.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi
i dont have problem with my clutch, i have problem with my engineif i press brake pedal, rpm idle drop down to 4003- sometime my engine shake quick just 1 second (look like you turn the key off and you turn on quick)i do everything change (air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, MAF) clean throttle body and clean fuel injection, checked my ignition coils all is goodthanks

Have your brake booster checked for integrity. It may be leaking vacuum.

But your symptoms do sound like a clutch issue. If you had ab electrical problem on the engine, the check engine light should be illuminated. That means you have a mechanical issue. Possible timing chain issue, but that would be very, very rare.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i dont have brake booster, have ABS system

Did not know if you had ABS or not. I would still check the clutch.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
same this one
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this shake engine not always come sometime
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also the idle drop down
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sometime

With an ABS system, that may be the key info..... I might want to rethink clutch. This sounds more like your ABS is activating. This will cause loss of power, the knock, and a drop in RPM. I would get the ABS system checked by a scan tool.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is one mechanic online said to me you have problem from brake booster vacum leak and IAC VALVE

If you do not have a brake booster, you do not have a place to leak vacuum. if you DID have a brake booster, yes, that is where we would be testing for vacuum leaks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no, i have only ABS SYSTEM

A faulty IAC valve would cause a stall condition, and it would not impede your acceleration. Additionally, this should turn on the check engine light if you had issues inside the engine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok i will check the ABS SYSTEM

Very good. One word though, you need a good scan tool that is compatible with this vehicle. Not all scan tools can communicate with the ABS system.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank u so much

You are very welcome. Thanks!