Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 98 RAV4, the horn and radio stopped working, Came

Customer Question

I have a 98 RAV4
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the horn and radio stopped working
JA: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?
Customer: Came with the car
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

There should be a radio fuse in the instrument panel fuse box

did you check the fuses there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I know if a fuse is bad?

you can buy a test light and check, or simply pull it out and look at it visually , there is a tiny metal line in it , if it is broke than fuse is bad

I sent you an example of a good fuse &blown bad fuse for your review

Chad

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do you pull out the fuse

TRY PLIERS

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried a small pair of pliers

and they want come out with you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
I can see by the cover the horn fuse is in the box in the car
But I don't see the radio listed on any of the boxes

one of them is radio , they probably have a different name on it .(like acc, amp etc..)

i would check them all, buy a$10 test light and then you want have to pull out the fuse to check ,you can across it from outside with a test light

but use a little more force it will pull out

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's not a fuse - I had someone check the fuses. He ck'd all the fuses and said they were all fine.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Different expert here. Do you still need assistance on this request? If so, please advise.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I still need help.
Do you have access to previous conversation?

Yes. Read all of it. The radio and the horn have no common fuse. There are three fuses for those items. 2 for the radio (CIG and DOME), and HORN. If there is power in the sockets for those 3 fuses (a 12 volt DC testlight would tell this), then the problem is elsewhere. Most likely in the device that distributes power to the various accessories. This device is called the "integration relay'. Not a relay in the normal sense of the word, but a unit that 'relays' (or integrates) power to the different accessories and other electrical devices. The things to do here is pull the radio out of the dash and remove the wire connector form the back of the radio. Test for power in the Grey wire. If you have power, your radio may be faulty. If no power, check for power in the CIG fuse. If no power there, you have a fuse panel/integration relay issue. On the horn, disconnect the green wire at the horn and attach a jumper wire form the positive battery terminal. Touch where the wire connects to the horn. If the horn sounds, the horns are good and you have a loss of power to the horns; thsi is either in the steering wheel or the integration relay. Without some testing, it will be difficult to pinpoint the cause. We need to see where, if any, voltage is present. Experience here, though, is this: you probably have a bad radio and corrosion at the horn wires, or faulty horns.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have rec'd your input.
Looks like this is way above my skill level ��

A testlight is easy to use. Ground the clip end and poke the socket with the pointy end. if the light lights up you have power. Pulling the radio is another thing, though. It helps to have some skills there; improper technique could crack the dash plastic.

If you are uncomfortable with these tests, a good tech can do the above tests in less than 30 minutes. That would not be a huge expense in a shop setting.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not have a test light and I have no idea how to take the radio out so it looks like I'll have to have someone service it

Here is one thing you can do: Locate the horns under the hood by the radiator. Have a helper press the horn button. Tap on the horn with a small hammer or similar tool. Sometimes, the voice coil on the horn diaphragm sticks. If you tap it and it beeps, replace the horns.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply. Hopefully, you are satisfied with my input. If you cannot do this yourself, copy and past our interaction into a WORD document and give it to someone who can test this for you. My input should be of great value to him (and saver you his diagnosis time/charges). A positive rating would be greatly appreciate. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.