Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Key fob won't lock/un-lock doors. Replaced battery in it. It

Customer Question
flashes red LED on fob...
Key fob won't lock/un-lock doors. Replaced battery in it. It flashes red LED on fob for about 10 seconds after battery is inserted then goes off. Chicken dance works up to the fob programming but doesn't finalize.
JA: Did the fob come with the vehicle, or did you buy a blank?
Customer: Came with it.
JA: Are you fixing your LTD yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced battery. Chicken dance.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
10/4/2016
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be with the vehicle but it's almost surely a failure of the fob itself.

The first thing that should be done is check or replace the battery. If you have a digital voltmeter you could test the battery's voltage.

If the battery is good or replacing it doesn't change anything then the next step will be to have the fob tested to see if it is transmitting. If not then the will need to be replaced. Most big chain parts stores such as Autozone will test fobs for free.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician