Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Turning the key to on the oil and check engine light come

Customer Question
Hi... Turning the key to...
Hi... Turning the key to on the oil and check engine light come on. When I attempt to start, lose all power... everything is dead... no starter click... nothing
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Which light?
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1999 Toyota corolla
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery, just changed the spark plugs. Was doing some work on the right fender area inside the engine compartment... Made sure the grounding wire had good contact
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Oh, and it resets if the battery is disconnected
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/22/2016
Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. did this problem happen after the work was done on the right fender area?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

im here

what kind of work were you doing in that area?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was some damage to the body metal... I was pounding it out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not the fender, the body around the engine compartment

have you checked for damaged wire or losse wires at the fuse box. postive battery power cable going into the fuse box? loose ground?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the ground connection in the passenger side fender - cleaned contact area and wire terminal with wire brush and reconnected with dielectric grease. Checking battery cables now. There is an "Engine Main" fuse that doesn't look great, and I will replace. Battery terminals could use some work too... but don't understand why everything would cut out, and then reset after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

you probably knocked something loose with the banging

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Something like what? Before starting, the headlight and turn signal/parking light work properly. When the key is turned there is one loud click, and nothing. All the fuses are really tight - difficult to remove. Will replace the battery terminals, and maybe the fuse box this weekend. When I remove the fuse box, may be able to see evidence of a short under the fuse box.

check voltage at the starter relay

any update?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced battery terminals and relays and vehicle started. Suspect short at battery terminal, and the vehicle's CPU cut power... Safety feature?

yeppers

i believe its called a circuit open relay

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Might have been helpful to mention that before.

i said i believe it is. let me find out for sure.

there is a circuit opening relay. when you go 2 days without responding or updating so we can continue troubleshooting ...cant get back in the groove with that kind of lapse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I said, mentioning a circuit opening relay before would have been helpful... moreso than suggesting 'all the banging may have loosened something". No shit, Sherlock. I figured it out, thanks.

you're the one who screwed up your vehicle. not me pal. any ways i m glad you got it fixed.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician