Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2008 Tundra that intermittently won't fire. I carry

Customer Question
a new toyota key just...
I have a 2008 Tundra that intermittently won't fire. I carry a new toyota key just in case it won't fire and today no key would work. Engine just spins over by the starter. About 6 tries and then it fires, or if I let it sit for a bit usually it will fire. So if it is the immobilization system how is that fixed
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/21/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician replied 1 year ago
Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

When it doesn't fire do you see a small padlock symbol like this one on the dash? http://carwarninglight.com/im_p/car_warning_light_w_immobilizer_theft_prevention_red.png

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ya right of the clock in the middle of the dash. Flashes before the key is installed in the ignition

But does it flash when the engine is turning over and not starting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Doesn't flash light goes out until key is removed

Ok, so the key is not the problem. The flashing means the computer doesn't see a good key and will not turn on the fuel injectors. Does the check engine light illuminate when you turn the ignition to on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The light goes out as soon as the key Is turned in the acc position

So the light is off, you insert the key then turn it to the on position (not start) the Check Engine light should come on for a few seconds then go off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you are correct
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No check engine lights when running either

Ok, from the information you have given me I would go with the fuel pump. It sounds like it is losing pressure and it possibly has a defective check valve.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the check valve is in the pump? Pump in the tank? Is the fuel pump something that a semi mechanically inclined person can do? Seems to never have an issue in the morning just after I drive it a bit and only happens once in a great while but always at the worst time.

It is not hard to change, lift the bed off for the absolute easiest access, 4 bolts then have someone help you lift it. The pump is right in the top of the tank.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Truck only has 56000 miles

Those fuel pumps work really hard all the time. Not uncommon at all for them to go out.

Especially if the truck is driven with 1/4 of a tank of gas or less a lot.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Copy. Best is to stay with toyota brand? Which is a dealer purchase. Any other possible things it could be? I was told a crank sensor. What is your thoughts
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any ball park idea what a fuel pump should cost? Seems like local business have a huge markup around here.

Crank sensor would have set the check engine light. An old timer's way of double checking would be buy some starting fluid at your nearest auto parts store and next time the truck won't start, spray some starting fluid in to the air cleaner hose and try to start the truck. if it starts then you have a fuel pump problem.

Aftermarket on the fuel pump is fine shouldn't cost more than $125-$150;

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sweet! You just answered my next question about the starting fluid. Is there a filter before the pump in the tank?

Yes but I have NEVER seen one of the Toyota filters go bad (mainly because of the filter on the pump itself, nothing ever has a chance to get to the secondary filter.

Thanks for letting me help, please do take a second and rate my service so I can stay on the site and help others.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Copy. When changing the pump is there any other things that I will need? Clamps, hoses ect?
There is also one other issues. When on dry pavement making a fast left turn on the hwy the traction control kicks in making beeping and weird noise on the brake peddle. I tried the same corner with the traction control off and the tow button on and still engaged the traction control. Making a right turn on same corner no problems

Nothing else needed. As for as the traction control problem, you need to see a dealer and have them reset the zero point calibration, takes only a minute and will cost $25-$50 depending on the dealer, long story short your truck thinks you are turning at a severe angle and the truck is on an incline. Just need to reset it so it knows what level ground looks like again, lol.

I have to sign off for now but I think you have the problem kicked now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All these Damn computer things. .. Rrrrrrrg. I tend to always fall back on my old reliable 72 mustang but not to street able with drag slicks and gas mileage. Lol! I appreciate everything! ! And you're time!

No problem at all, please rate my service, or I cannot stay on the site.

Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy