Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I left the key on overnight in my 2008 scion xd. Recharged

Customer Question
I left the key on...
I left the key on overnight in my 2008 scion xd. Recharged battery and will not start. motor turns over and the sparkplugs are firing. I think I hear the fuel pump when I try to start it. Any ideas?
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: original
JA: Are you fixing your xD yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. checked fuses.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/20/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Just a questioin you didn't by accident jump the battery backwards did you? check the engine fuse on the interior fuse block.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which one is the engine fuse?

it will be marked ign fuse inside driver's side of dash , so was it jumped in reverse? if so you may need to check the 120 amp fuse under the hood battery side fuse block.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Although the pictures you posted are not the same car as mine... I checked all the fuses again. I even found the main fuses attached to the positive battery cable. It is not a fuse.

yes the ones attached to the battery are the ones most likely to blow they are high amp fuses the older models used to have fuse able links there that done the same thing to protect the circuitry. check those.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did check them. They are fine. I borrowed a code reader from Auto Zone. Can I use that to check the computer or fuel system components? I definitely here the fuel pump running when I try to start it.

a code reader just tells you if you have a trouble code and it's number so you can further diagnose that area of concern . No you can't check the ECU with it or the fuel system but I can tell you how to do that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hear the fuel pump running when I try to start it but the motor just turns over, no start. When I try to start it, the starter keeps cranking for about 4 seconds no matter when I let off of the key. My next step is to remove the fuel line at the firewall and see if fuel pumps out when the key turns to "start." That might narrow down the search for what is wrong. Right now I know the battery is good, The motor turns over. The spark plugs fire and the fuel pump is humming.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Fuel is being pumped through the firewall. Could the problem be with the injectors? How do I check them?

that sounds weird . take out the spark plugs and tell me if they are wet or dry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very dry. It took a long time to answer because I had to finish up at work before coming home again.

I don't mean to argue or second guess you but have you done a load test on the battery if it doesn't have at least 9-10 v reserve going to the electronics it won't operate properly. I have seen batteries turn engines over good but no reserve to do anything else .If you say there is fuel getting to the rails and plugs dry perhaps the ECU is not getting enough power to open the injectors.when you said th spark plugs are firing what color is the spark?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did a load test. Battery is good. Leaving the key on had to have caused this problem.

ok thanx just eliminating things .ok the spark plugs remain dry after cranking , disconnect one injector and check for trigger voltage as you crank should be between 2.5 and 5.0 v

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Less than 2 but it does bounce closer to 2 volts as the the motor turns over.

well you said the plugs were dry after cranking that long? then it must be not getting fuel, there are a couple things you can do to pinpoint this. using a long thin screw driver with one end touching the top of an injector and the other end handle end tight to your ear have someone crank the engine and listen for a sharp clicking noise.the other thing you can try is spray a little quick start into the intake hose while cranking to see if it tries to start , tell me what happens doing these two things.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All four injectors click clearly. When a spray starter fluid in to the intake, it kicks and runs for about 1 second, then nothing.

ok then we need to check the fuel pump pressuer should be over 30 psi

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have to find a fuel pressure gauge. It will be tomorrow.

Good I BELIEVE WE ARE VERY CLOSE TO SOLVING THIS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I am really making you earn that 5 star rating!

LOL THAT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR , CHEERS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. 0 psi on the fuel. When I check for fuel the other day, I was by myself. My paper towels were very wet. This time I tried it with the line open and it nearly squirted any gas out, then nothing.

now were getting closer to the problem. can you take the line coming from the fuel tank off at the fuel filter and see if it pumps better there before it goes through the fuel filter? that will eliminate the fuel filter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fuel filter is in the tank with the pump. I pulled the back seats and have access to the top of the pump.

here is a link that may help you pull the filter but you mau want to jump the fuel relay first to see if that makes any difference. http://www.scionlife.com/forums/xb-tech-diy-1817/fuel-filter-replacement-93840/

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician