Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

When i turn the ignition the engine does not turn over and

Customer Question
the dash lights flicker with...
when i turn the ignition the engine does not turn over and the dash lights flicker with nothing but clicking
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: fuses yes just recently changed two dash lights that were out
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2000 4 runner sr5
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have changed the dash lights before so yes. all i did was disconnect the battery and changed the instrument panel lights
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician replied 1 year ago
Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

Have you checked the 4runner's battery yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it started no problem to move the vehicle into the garage before working on it.

Are the lights flashing on and off? Or are they flickering?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
flickering

And all you did was replace dash lights?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
one of the back lights for the instrument panel.

Ok, let's start with some basics, do you have a multimeter?

With the key out, check the voltage of the battery and let me know what it reads.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
11.8VDC
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the battery already

Perfect, now is there a small red light to the left of the steering wheel?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yea next to the dimmer switch

Is this light also a button (you can push it in or out)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no its not a button

Is it flashing right now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the light is off

You are not getting enough amperage from that battery to start the 4runner, double check the terminal clamps for tightness and try checking the voltage with the key in the on position.

Also check that ground wire going to the fender, sometimes they can be broken and still hard to see that it is broken.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
battery is good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ground is connected no corrosion
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would a faulty instrument panel prevent the truck from starting?
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. You said the battery is ok? but how did you determine that ? did you do a load test on it ? or a starter draw test? these tests are very important to do for that exact problem, you stated that the battery has 11.8 volts, that is not enough should be over 12v . the load test will determine the strength of the battery under load not just voltage. the starter draw should not exceed 100amps. How old is the battery? If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was the starter relay. when turning the ignition key the relay would not completely close. I gave it a little love tap and sure enough it started right up :)

You mean the relay in the fuse block or the stater itself ? because that is another problem we had was solenoid problems .I would replace that relay then before it leaves you stranded. But that battery voltage still bothers me.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician