Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Motor turns over but wont start. I just changed the starter

Customer Question
but that was not the...
motor turns over but wont start. I just changed the starter but that was not the problem.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Brand new battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1996 landcruiser
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, its with a certified mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is running a diagnostic test
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/15/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Was fuel pressure tested at all with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Idk

Once common cause for this fault here when the starter engages and cranks over the engine is a fault with a weak or faulty fuel pump not supplying any or enough fuel pressure to the injectors.This engine needs a specific amount of fuel pressure (38 to 44) psi of pressure to allow starting of the engine.If the fuel pump is weak or defective this causes this needing replaced.

One other common component is the crank sensor failing.It sits below the crank pulley/harmonic balancer as shown below.If this sensor is failing to pick up the crank position then a no start occurs.Usually you can tell the crank sensor is the fault if you have a scan tool plugged into your model to read the engine rpm data signal on the scan tool.If there is no rpm signal then usually this indicates the sensor needs replaced.

These are the most common causes for this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Problem solved. Plugged fuel injectors

That is great to hear it has been located.If you need anything else let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician