Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

The engine stalls when started cold, runs fin if I give a

Customer Question
little gas when starting JA: Is...
the engine stalls when started cold, runs fin if I give a little gas when starting
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: no check engine light stalls at idle, no problems driving no problems when engine warmed up
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2002 Toyota highlander
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no taking it to a shop tomorrow, just want to get some iinfo before hand
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: cant think of anythimh
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/14/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

The ECT ( engine coolant temperature sensor /Computer switch ) tells the ECM ( engine control module ) the temperature of the engine based on that the engine module adjust the idle ,if the engine not showing being cold the ecm is not idle the engine high enough to keep it running,especially if you giving it gas

you basically doing the ecm job and keep it running and when the engine reach operating temperature the ecm goes into closed loop status, meaning switching to the the info on the air to fuel ratio from the Heated oxygen sensor not from the ect sensor after warmed up and oxygen sensors are heated.

But The vehicle needs to be hooked up to a diagnostic scanner to Retrieve any fault codes in the pending file , even if the light not on and the ect can be read on the scanner to what temp is reporting to confirm

From what you describing to me , I think that is what is happening

The idle air control valve sometimes are an issue but Usually it will be doing it regardless of engine cold or hot ,but that will be another area to look at .

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat