Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Rear brake-light problem 2002 toyota tacoma 2wd

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/11/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you can I be of service to you has this got a trailer harness on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have measured power at the plug when the brake is engaged, but when I plug in the real light assembly I can't measure power anymore when the brake is engaged. The other side is functioning properly. The running lights are functioning all around.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I followed the wires back to a junction just under the left rear quarter panel. There the positive left brake light wire comes out of a box that has two wires going into it. I need to know what that box is. The box is cracked and I believe that is the source of my problem

what your looking at is called a connector block or as I call it a spliter block because that's what it does it directs the power to each tail lights and 3rd brake light. if it's cracked that's most likely the problem , easy way to determine that is just to bridge the pos wire that came out with power and if the lights work bang! you got it and should be no other issues . Hope this gives you help in solving your problem and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so I'll include a wiring diagram that shows that splitter even thogh it's not your year it hasn't changed much .Just a question , how is your frame doing we have a campaign changing them for rust issues. If your happy with my answer please rate it thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in California so no rust issues.
any chance you have a part number for that? I cant seem to find it online and the local parts store didn't know over the phone?

no sorry and it will be just a dealer item Actually don't even know if you can get it separate from wiring harness. be back latter tonight .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

Hello again you can ask a dealer if it is in fact seperate or part of the harness. if it is part of the harness with the age of the vehicle I would just bypass it carefully

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician