Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Just acquired a 06 toyota prius yesterday drove under heavy

Customer Question
Hi,Just acquired a 06 toyota...
Hi,Just acquired a 06 toyota prius yesterday drove under heavy rain, light on, wipers, the car wont get started this AM, have a small light with a car and key in it in red and beeping.
The seller told me he replaced the starting battery no long ago, but have not been driven a while.
Had hard time to start yesterday on my way home when I stoped.
Any idea?
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/11/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

I seen the dash picture , is there a Red or yellow triangle in the dash in front of the driver ?

have you checked the level of the hybrid battery charge on the display?

we need to have the car computer scanned with Toyota scanner or equivalent ?

the 12 volt battery is for initially start up and the hybrid battery take over but both have to functioning for it to work.

what is the mileage on it ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi,Is the red car with a key in it,
Very low miles, 82k
But yesterday I noticed that the the starting baterry where not loose, seller tried to tied up with a plier and had a big spark because touching the ground, I wonder if this hasnt killed the battery.
How do i check the battery as I have no screen, she not starting now?
Thnaks

if it is completely dead, we need to charge the 12 volt battery first , that is the only battery you can charge, the hybrid can not be charged expect thru the car or a dealer charger .

hopefully after you charge or replace the 12 volts battery you get your screen back

this arcing on the battery is bad, check that battery at advance or auto zone, he could have shorted it out doing that .

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'm going to go there now Let me know you know

ok sounds good , i m online all day ,just let me know

also check all fuses with a test light in case he blew a fuse tighten that battery arcing it

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Different Expert here. The Just Answer site has requested me to inquire if you need any further assistance on this issue. If so, please advise. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now she start !

You need to have the wires on the 12 volt battery checked where they enter the terminal. I would expect you to find that the wire at the terminal connection has corrosion.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
started 3 times, now wont start at all again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cannot open the trunk now because is electric, any idea to open trunk with no power?

I do believe you have a loss of power at the terminals, or the battery is faulty internally. When these are towed into the shop, we go thru the back seat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

The electronics in this car rely heavily on the rear 12 volt battery. This is what powers up all of the computers. Any loss of voltage or poor connection will cause insufficient power to allow the car to start.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem with connection, it seems to be the main push button, I order a new one. Should be in within a couple of days. Let you know. Thanks again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery is fine
It is a good indication battery good
Let me know what happens with switch
Good luck
Chad
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat