Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Read your link (don't know if you can see it) from 2 years

Customer Question
Hello, Read your link (don't...
Hello, Read your link (don't know if you can see it) from 2 years ago. Just about follows exactly the same pathway with the exception that my code for my 2005 Tundra 6 cyl. with 175K on the clock is P0974 which points at the S1 solenoid control circuit high. Now I'm currently awaiting estimates for two other shops since just like the customer you responded to that the Toyota dealer outsources all their tranny work, the second shop didn't know what a tranny solenoid was, the 3rd shop I contacted wanted to pull the pan to "see what kind of shape the tranny was in, also stating the metal filings could clog the valve body (even though the code shows an electrical problem btw) so ruled him out based on his response, which leaves the 4th shop where he was very informed about the potential for ECM (very very low probability according to him....a good sign, harness (possibly), or most likely the solenoid or connection itself. A good sign for minimally vetting him and awaiting his call back for cost to diagnose and if he agrees the solenoid is the obvious culprit then change it out. The most interesting point made in your thread here was a no-brainer.......was the tranny fluid checked? BTW, slipping in 1st gear is the primary symptom. Fluid was changed by me 2 years ago (except for the torque converter of course) so 2 years ago fluid level was fine (according to Toyota shop manual procedures) but have not put it up on the lift to check for leaks. Would you suggest the first thing to do would be to check the fluid, or could the P0974 code exclude a fluid level potential since it is typically an electrical problem and low fluid level could be ruled out?. I've found on line instructions by an ASE Master Tech by the name of Benjamin on 01/12/16 to check the Harness and ECM and TCM along with a circuit check where according to the article you might expect to find excessive resistance or an open circuit, and then lastly an actual solenoid check. So taking into consideration all the options you've provided the previous customer 2 years ago, what would be your direction?
JA: What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it?
Customer: Thought I was communicating with Genchi Genbutsu?
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Could you please answer my question.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No It's a bit disconcerting to the page I was reading showed an ACE Master Technician but the tech who shows me being transferred to has no credentials other than "Toyota Mechanic". I am not a beginner and would like to know what the credentials are if I'm getting someone other than Genchi Genbutsu who proved his knowledge of tranny's in the link I read.....Lot's of mechanics out there but few with in-depth Toyota tranny knowledge
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/10/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
  • Are you hoping to gather info on this repair prior to going to a shop or to diagnose and fix this yourself?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician