Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

2.4 liter Camry compression cyl 1...160...cyl 2 ...120...cyl

Customer Question

2.4 liter Camry compression cyl 1...160...cyl 2 ...120...cyl 3...140....,cyl /4....180
JA: What year is your Camry?
Customer: 03
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Code 300 ..301...302....random misfire....new plugs coil packs pcv valve
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 126000 random
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Camry.

It appears from your compression reading that you have a problem there. Are you trying to resolve the misfire issue or the compression issue? Both?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Trying to get it to pass inspection

I know the misfire codes are serious but that problem could very well be caused by the compression issue. Anything more that 10psi between cylinders indicates a problem with respect to compression. It could be the rings, head gasket or the head and valves.

What have you tried in getting this part fixed yet?

Did you conduct a wet compression test?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did not do a wet compression test yet....no oil mixed with water does not blow smoke....runs excellent with the exception of rough idle

Go ahead and run the wet compression test and lets see if the readings bump up any...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If they bump up what does that mean

If they bump up then that would confirm to us that the piston rings are not sealing and need to be replaced. This condition could also be the exact cause of the misfire.

If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me as I have just helped you.