Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2008 scion xb with 87000 miles on it. I get a obd

Customer Question
i have a 2008 scion...
i have a 2008 scion xb with 87000 miles on it. I get a obd code p0717 randomly. Ive replaced the sensor and it still will come on randomly. I have an obd scanner that I can erase the code and will go away until a couple of days. it normally comes on when I'm driving a straight line. it will come on while accelerating and at a held speed
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: ive replaced the turbine input sensor. as far as how many time has it come on at least 30. ive had this problem for a while
JA: Are you fixing your xB yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/8/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago
Cary York

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

You replaced the input speed sensor on the trans?

Toyota Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

Never mind I just read that you did.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi carl
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry cary
Toyota Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

First of all I would inspect the wiring harness from the sensor to the main harness for any areas that it may be grounding against something.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok just a little about me. I do have college degree in automotive tech. I know that doesn't make me a master mechanic. but hopefully it helps you out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I first started to have this problem I replaced the turbine sensor thinking it just might have gone bad. a little while after it came back on so I changed the transmission fluid. I did a cycle flush to get the most old ATF out as I could and I still is occurring. today I started the car and tried moving the wiring harness around simulating vibrations from the car to see if was a short in the wiring but no codes. I don't want to say its the ecm or tcm because it if that was the case it would stay on all the time.
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. A couple questions to get a picture of what I'm dealing with.Did you check the voltage at the sensor connector ? one wire should show low voltage and the high side should be 2.5 to 5v if not then you need to check the resistance and continuity from there to the ECU if it does check put fine then I would suspect the ECU Hope this gives you some direction to go and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I've been looking for that kind of voltage information everywhere. The hardest part is the I can't replicate what causes it so it's hard to trace the problem.

lol now you know what we run into when trying to diag intermittent electrical problems it's almost impossible when things don't act up you just don't have a point to start from. At this point the only thing I can suggest is do that voltage test at the connector and if it checks our good I doubt it's the ECU so while your test leads are still attached wiggle the wire harness all the way to the fire wall. we had a few with breaks in the harness at the bend going into the fire wall. also don't hesitate to wiggle the ECU connector too. I'm going to bed rt now so let me know tomorrow what you tried and found, good luck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ya I have doubts about a faulty ecu as well because its intermittent. Thanks for your help

cheers ***** ***** me know after you do as I stated good luck and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so. If your happy with my help please give my answer a pos rating, thank you.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician