Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2011 toyota avalon limited and the fuel door will…

I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 toyota avalon limited and the fuel door will not open. When I push the button I can hear it click. I had to have someone hold the button while I used a screwdriver to open it. It opened fairly easy, but I need to know what could be wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I hear the click from the fuel door when I push the button the same way I normally would when it would open normally

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I planned on taking it to the shop tomorrow, but if I could fix it myself then I would. It just happened tonight so I haven't tried anything other than having someone hold the button while I opened the door

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I can hear the release clicking sound that I normally hear when I press the fuel door button and it just happened today and I had no prior signs of malfunction before this.

9/8/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 5 years ago
Kevin Bourcier

hello i can assist you with this

Great!
Toyota Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 5 years ago

when the fuel door is open you will see the release mechanism , you will need to have someone actuate the switch and measure the amount of movement the release machanism has as per the factory spec I have included .

I am not sure as I do not have anyone with me at the moment to push the button. I know when the guy at the gas station pressed the button I got it open fairly easy
Toyota Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 5 years ago

The indication would be that there is something that has been shifted out of adjustment somehow with the fuel door or the actuator stroke is not moving the full distance specified . You need to confirm the full " stroke " of the release actuator as per the specification required , indicated in my text .

Ok, if it's not at full stroke what part would need to be replaced?
Toyota Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 5 years ago

the complete " Fuel Lock Control Assembly " shown in the illustration .

Ok, thank you. I will try what you suggested tomorrow.
Toyota Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 5 years ago

Sounds good !

Kevin Bourcier
One more question. How much does that part normally cost?