Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

93 toyota corolla, All bulbs and fuses good. jumped ground

Customer Question
to feed switch everything works...
93 toyota corolla, All bulbs and fuses good. jumped ground to feed switch everything works except running lights remain on in the off position.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: No headlights, running lights, high beam except when the flash is pulled back.
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am a red seal certified mechanic. Yes I am fixing it for my gf. tested bulbs, fuses and relays. switch functions when ground is fed. but won't turn off running lights
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/6/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. you said you supplied a ground to the switch? can you elaborate where and what happened? you can then check the body grounds .have you got a light wiring diagram?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a wiring diagram but it does not match. I doubt it is for a 93 corolla. I supplied ground to the part of the turn signal stalk switch that selects off, running and headlights. All the lights and relays worked. The running lights will not shut off, at least not until the ignition switch is cycled.

do the high beam lights work without jumping? I would not advise back probing with grounding because the dlr system is very sensitive that way .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The high beams work only when the stalk is pulled back to "flash". I supplied ground because the wiring diagram suggested it should be permanently supplied at that point.

what you have is a bad DTRL mogul every thing goes through it and you mentioned no day time running lights that just confirms it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've never heard of such a thing. Do you mean module? If so where is that located? I've found the DRL relay 2, the marker/tail light module, the low beam relay, the drl fuse.

Oh boyI need a translator I guess for me, LOL yes the DRL relay sorry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did find the DRL2 mounted in the right front of the engine bay and it seemed to work fine. The exterior light system relay I believe is on the driver's side kick panel it too seems to be working just fine.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you mean DRL module, not relay, I haven't found it yet. I've heard they are not dependable and many people just bypass them as I believe I just did.
My gf has taken the car. The lights work and will turn off as soon as the door is opened.

hello again and here is the unit I was referring to and a link so you can either bypass it the right way or replace it. http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html#Toyota. The units are cheap enough and probably can find one in a wrecking yard. I don't know where you live but some states and up here is mandatory to have them working so best to check before you do disable them. Hope this helps you and if you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so. please rate my answer. Good luck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see any reference to a 93 Corolla in the bypass instructions. I live in BC, no DRL requirement as far as I know.The wiring diagram you provided the link to is the one I already have and does not correlate. The drawing of the interior is not a 93, it is very different on the divers side from the drawing and I don't wish to pull apart the dash/glovebox on the passenger side to find it too, inaccurate. Sorry, nothing you have provided is of any help.
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician