Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

It stalls at stops. Also power is weakened or dies when

Customer Question
idling and A/c or headlights...
It stalls at stops. Also power is weakened or dies when idling and A/c or headlights are turned on. Or idiling and shifting into gear sometimes. Battery, alternator are good-been tested. Also there are no shorts.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Fuses are good. The running lights don't work, but has been that way since I got it a few months ago. Has ran fine until recently
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2001 Toyta Tacoma 2.4 cyl 2wd
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced spark plugs. Tested alternator, battery, and tested for shorts. Those things are good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The truck shudders ar medium/high speed. Also the speedometer starts going haywire when using the turn signal while moving
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/5/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Have you checked for diagnostic codes using a diagnostic code reader?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried using an OBD reader, but there is no check engine light on

Thanks , possibly a loss of power due to engine compression loss, I'm going to suggest that you check the compression on each cylinder. If compression is good it may be a fuel injector problem, common on these engines.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help.
What about the loss of power when the head lights or A/C is on, and the speedometer bouncing all over the place when the turn signal is used. Isn't this an electrical problem? Some sensor or relay?

Yes, I will agree that it is an electrical problem as far as the erratic speedometer etc is concerned, maybe two problems not related, You said the battery and alternator were tested to be good, do you have the alternator/charging system test results in voltage and amperage readings under a no load and load conditions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All of these happened simotaneously, which leads to believe it is one problem. With the car on the voltage is 14.2. When I turn on the air or headlights, the engine power dips (almost stalls) briefly. Voltage drops a couple volts, but then back to the smae voltage of 14.2 1 or seconds later. When driving the turn signal makes the speedometer bounce around but not at rest. The truck has ok to weak power driving and shudders violently sometimes. Coming to a stop, it wants to stall. Its a manual, and to take off you have to give it extra gas or it can stall.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This probably something that can be diagnosed without examining the vehicle, but figured I would give it a shot before taking it to a mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cant be

Sounds like a good idea, best of luck.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech