AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 2012 Toyota Camry. I was driving it last night and

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Toyota Camry. I was driving it last night and all of the instrument panels lit up and the engine clicked off and I coasted to a stop. It would not start again so I had it towed. Tried jump starting it this morning and it won't turn over. The battery tests at 12.6 volts and the alternator is measuring at 3 on the multi meter. We used a code reader and there are no codes. Any idea what this could be?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Have you checked the oil? were there any noises before this happened like knocking or anything at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oil was just changed and replaced two days ago, and I didn't notice any noises.

Can you pull the dip stick and check the oil level? let me know if it's full and if it looks good.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Checked oil. Oil level is above first bump on the dip stick.

what happens when you turn the key to crank the engine? any click or anything at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It clicks but won't turn over.

Can you remove the serpentine belt and then try cranking it over? also try to put a socket on the crankshaft bolt and use a ratchet to try and turn it over by hand. I want to make sure that something inside the engine didn't come apart and seize the engine up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We can't find the belt, but checked the starter and it was fine. Turning by hand did not work.

You were unable to turn the engine by hand with a socket on the crankshaft pulley?

The belt is in the front of the engine. If you remove the belt, and the engine will turn then you have an accessory that's seized up and not allowing the engine to turn. If the engine still won't turn then either there is an issue with the starter not engaging the the flex plate which would not cause it to die while driving, or the engine seized.

Try watching the crankshaft pulley when attempting to start and see if it moves even a tiny bit or not at all.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Got it. Thank you!

Your welcome. Let me know how it goes or if you need further help. I'll do all I can to help.