Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Two issues with my 2004 Toyota sienna Le .a/c stopped

Customer Question
cooling 4 weeks ago.determined the...
Two issues with my 2004 Toyota sienna Le .a/c stopped cooling 4 weeks ago.determined the clutch was faulty and was spitting out a rubbery substance all around it.i bought a new clutch assy from toyota in Deland ,Florida.had it installed by a mechanic and it worked perfectly.drove back home 3 weeks later to MD.A/c worked perfectly, no issues.I drive 35 miles away from my house the other day and it intermitently stopped working.and then it finally stopped cooling again and never cooled/wrked again.i check on it the next day and the interior a/c fan doesnt work ,the a/c light and the refresh light also donot work.i am having trouble troubleshoooting the fan not working and why it doesnt cool as well.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
9/1/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you Chad.

1- first you need to check freon levels, if the system goes down to below 25% of freon , it will shut down, so no power to ac/compressor or condenser fan

you need a/c test gauge to get the low side and high side reading, the low side should show full , with engine off or at least 100 psi pressure

2- if freon levels are good, then we move to fuse & relays

3- the intermittent stop working could be that freon slowly leaked out and system shut off.

4- when the ac compressor locked up & replaced it, did the mechanic flush the system from the metal shaving derix that the compressore created in the system

this stuff will get stuck in the condenser, evaporator , expansion valve .

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok so i checked the pressure on the low side but since the compressor wasn't running it only registered about 100 psi.
I am not sure if the compressor locked up .only the clutch assy was replaced with a new one.the system was never opened only the clutch was replaced by carefully unbolting the compressor from the engine housing and tilted to work on the clutch assy replacement. .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
mileage is 203k.compressor/ and clutch assy has been replace about 6 yrs ago with a new denso .
the blower fan is not blowing. the a/c button and refresh button do not light up at all.i will check on the other items and get back to you.
i don't have anything that looks like the r/b 3 figure you sent me .is this supposed to be on the left side of the engine compartment looking at it from the front under the hood.?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Neverminf I see it

looking at from under the hood& you facing the engine ,it will be on your right hand , driver side

if the blower inside not working ,then we have to look at the blower motor inside ,fuses ,and blower motor relay ( HTR Really)

it will be inside that box you looking for r/b 3 .

does the rear blower works ?

check all fuses with a test light , inside that box

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see the relays but I don't see anything saying rb3

The r/b 3

is only the name of the fuse box

you are looking for the MG CLT relay , Magnetic Clutch Relay for the ac compressor (IT WILL BE THE WHITE RELAY

and also the relay That says HTR relay that is your blower relay, look at the diagram and match position ( IT WILL BE THE 3 RD BLUE ONE ABOVE THE WHITE ONE) COUNTING FROM OUTSIDE IN .

SAWP THAT BIG BLUE RELAY WITH MIDDLE BLUE ONE AND SEE IF THE BLOWER INSIDE WORKS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Swapped the two blue ones and nothing changed.what do I do with the white mg clt relay?

i think that is a special one

but issue here the blower inside not working , so this has to work first to power up this RELAY.

you need check blower motor & blower motor resistor

and all fuses needs checking first , then resistor & blower ,if there is power all the way to blower motor ,and blower want work

then blower motor is bad

after we get the blower to work than we can address if compressor still not working

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which one in the picture i sent is the fuse for the blower ?

send me a better picture i cant see only part of it

it will be a 50 amp HTR FUSE

It is the pink square ones ,with glass cover on top top left in the picture you send me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks like they are the main breakers .

you need to check all fuses ,regardless to where they go ,including the circuit breaker you see

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat