Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Just checking on type of engine on my 2000 Land Cruiser to

Customer Question
determine risk if I don't...
Just checking on type of engine on my 2000 Land Cruiser to determine risk if I don't replace my timing belt. Looks like I better do it.
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: 70K miles. changed it at 100K. Buyt it's been 8 years
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Taking it to a shop. $1100.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope, I think I'm good. Thanks so much, what a great site!!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
8/29/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 1 year ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Hi Todd! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

According to the Toyota Normal Service Schedule for your vehicle, the belt is to be replaced at intervals of every 90,000 miles (and unofficially roughly every 7 years if the mileage hasn't been reached). So, if it's been 8 years, this is definitely something to consider. If this belt is to break while the engine is under load, it can cause major internal engine damage. Definitely a 'better safe than sorry' type of maintenance item.

As for the estimate you received, the Belt sells for around $62 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 4 hours to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. So the estimate of $1100 is definitely a bit on the high side.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Hi Todd! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

..

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -