Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2006 Camry. Alternato went out. I recharged the bat so I

Customer Question
could drive. Bat ran down...
2006 Camry. Alternato went out. I recharged the bat so I could drive. Bat ran down to low voltage and lots of lights & dings. Car then would not engage auto trans. After setting for a while, it will engage Drive. But, after about 5-10 min of driving won't shift....just like it is in neutral. However, Reverse still works. Does the ECU need to be replaced or refreshed (rebooted)?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: I didn't notice. Sorta like when you turn the key on but more intense. I did notice when I signaled (turn lights) it effected the engine performance with each flash of the signal light.
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: 2006 Toyota Camry
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't have a MINI. I have a 2006 Camry
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
8/24/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Did you have the alternator tested or replaced yet? Is the battery fully charged and has it been tested since it was drained several times? How many miles are on the vehicle? Do you have any recent service history on the vehicle leading up to this current problem?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced alternator. Bat fully charged & tested. 43,000 miles. No service history or problems. The problem continues. Starts and runs fine (not real smooth shifting, but just slightly noticeable). So, to recap. Drives for 5-10 min then forward gear is like "neutral ." Reverse continues to function when forward gears (auto trans) are like transmission is in neutral.

Do you have a code reader to see if there any malfunction code set in engine control computer? At any time was the battery jump backwards or did the main post of the alternator get grounded even for a split second?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do I find your reply?

I'm not sure how looks on your end but it should show up in line right after your question or your response there should be my reply. Here's a copy and paste of the last reply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tested but they didn't see any problem (O’Riley). No prob with jumping or grounding out when changing alternator.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Again, can't see your response? Mac AirBook Safari. Works everywhere else???
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello. Last time I didn't get a response, I did get it after stating "Where do I find your reply?"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there. Just a yes would be fine.

YES

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I "dispute" my credit card charge?

Hello

Can you see my replies

I need to know when the engine is running if there any warning lights still illuminated on the instrument panel? Is the yellow check engine light on? Do you have a code reader to check for malfunction codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are no lights illuminated. As stated above, code reader didn't find anything wrong.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No lights illuminated which SHOULDN'T be illuminated.

To answer your question specifically there is no reset on the memory when the battery goes dead. The only thing that will happen with the transmission shifting patters would be you might notice a slight delay or acceleration on the shift points because it's relearning your driving pattern. No way will it ever stop moving in forward gears after it warms up. The fact that it does not set any codes and the computer is extremely surprising because the computer is looking for specific speeds and shift points. Having the alternator feel should not affect construction or electronic transmission was something shorted out. The only thing I can invite you to do is to check all of the fuses and make sure none of them got blown possibly affecting power inputs to the computer and for the transmission. Reverse is strictly a mechanical/hydraulic function in the transmission it requires no electronics or solenoids. For years all reply and operate to electric solenoids. If you have ruled out that all of the fuses are good the charging system is above 13 V and the battery test good then there is some type of mechanical malfunction in the transmission.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a copy of my original question:
2006 Camry. Alternato went out. I...
2006 Camry. Alternato went out. I recharged the bat so I could drive. Bat ran down to low voltage and lots of lights & dings. Car then would not engage auto trans. After setting for a while, it will engage Drive. But, after about 5-10 min of driving won't shift....just like it is in neutral.However, Reverse still works. Does the ECU need to be replaced or refreshed (rebooted)?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: I didn't notice. Sorta like when you turn the key on but more intense. I did notice when I signaled (turn lights) it effected the engine performance with each flash of the signal light.
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: 2006 Toyota Camry
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't have a MINI. I have a 2006 Camry
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think "maybe" there was a long delay in your response so I thought you didn't respond. I am also receiving you emails, but they don't answer my questions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello? Are you there? Just a "yes" would be fine.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems, when I say "should I dispute this charge" I do get a response.

I'm not sure what's going on I keep getting all the information that you just keep replying to did you get the explanation about the transmission and how it works and the other information that I sent you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I keep answering your questions. Resend the "explanation about the transmission and how it works and the other information that I sent you" I feel I have received ALL your replies/question. But, how would I tell. I do receive a prompt response when I state "should I dispute this charge"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please see my 24 August 2016 09:09 response.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have now received you 9:27AM (today) email.

As far as the replies after you claim your disputing the charges have no explanation for I do work a full-time job and sometimes get pulled away from my computer so to give an instant reply to your question sometimes is not easily done until I'm back at my computer. Below is the reply that I sent you explaining the situation with the transmission and so on. Let me know if you got this reply or if you need any other information.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I feel I can see your replies....perhaps there is just a Very Long delay. I do understand about other customers. Thank you for your reply. Have a good day.
Thank you. Done here.

You're welcome. Let me know if you need any additional information and if you have not done so please do not forget to apply a rating of three or higher.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician