Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

The light in the dash is blinking that has a key in it

Customer Question

The light in the dash is blinking that has a key in it outlimed by a car. I had a mobile mechanic come look at it and he sId that the security feature is keeping it from.starting and there may ne a trick to fiximg it....
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: The mechanic did
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: It is a touota sequoia 2002 limited
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anythimg yet. I had to het a restraining order this morning against my fiancé. Well, former fiancé now. He disable it yesterday because he didnt want me to leave. He is a mechanic and knows alot of tricks to fix cars or disable them. Im hopeing you can help me discover a trick to reset the anti theft, which i believe is the problem...
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing i can think of...
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Was there more than one key? Did he take any of the keys with him? It sounds like the engine immobilizer is activated and doesn't recognize the key you are using.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 5 keys and two fobs. I am not sure if there were anymore keys because he had them all before giving them to me when i baught the vehicle a month ago. One key is gray and he told me not to use it because it resets the ignition or something. I didnt use that key... i domt know if he did.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

So I assume none of those keys work, a couple of things you can try:

Use the key to lock and unlock the left front door five times ending with unlock.

Disconnect the battery negative cable for a few minutes with the key in and in the on position

If I can think of anything else I'll get back to you.

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Also try this:

With battery disconnect put the key in the ignition and turn to on

Leave the door open wait 5 minutes and re connect the battery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried both things and neither worked. If you think of anything else, let me know. I really appreciate your help!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the last saggestion and it still wont start and dash light is still flashing. I havnt tried the gray key that i was told not to use... i definately should NOT try that key, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you again for your time and effort
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

The grey key is just a valet key, that means it should work to start it but you can't unlock the glove compartment.