Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My 1984 Toyota pickup keeps blowing the engine fuse

Customer Question
my 1984 Toyota pickup keeps blowing the engine fuse
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
8/22/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

Have you checked ground cable from battery to frame ?

the fuse box where the engine fuse is blowing,check for hot spot or melted wires, look on back of it

have you unplugged engine computer and see if fuse still blows ?

does the fuse blows when you turn switch from off to on or after you started the truck and then it dies , or you have to drive it for it to blow the fuse ?

what circuit does that fuse belong it , does the fuse cover say ecm ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
fuse will blow sometimes when sitting still riding down interstate riding down driveway seems to be worse during hot weather
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the truck has a carb from factory not EFI I do not have to touch brakes or turn signal or have the air on or off

hey , i m sorry , i m not sure on this one because none of my diagram show a carb set up for this year, so i will open up the question for another expert for you & opt out

Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you, wow that's still got a carburetor, that must be early 84 as it would have a production change late 84. Ok a couple questions to get us rolling. This may cost you a couple of fuses to check it this way , but unless you have a short tester this is the only other way to do it Is it just the engine fuse that blows? will it also blow with engine not running with key in run position or does the engine have to be running to blow it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have only found the fuse will blow when running and moving
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also remember during the winter months it only blew 1 fuse in 3 months.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my dad bought this truck new and he said he thinks this problem happened over 20 years ago and was repaired at local import shop and he thinks the shop owner told him it had a bad capasitor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the import shop is no longer open.

ok that should eliminate the starting circuit does it seem to blow right away or takes a bit to do it? Iam suspecting the alternator is starting to short out can you disconnect it all the wires and run it for a while and see if it blows a fuse. I will check the circuit in the mean time.

OK that fuse runs allot so it may be difficult to pinpoint the problem it may take processes of elimination. IT triggers the alternator runs dash gauges back up light circuit' so start at the most common. disconnect alternator try , check wiring to back up light switch and disconnect it too and try that.Without actually being there and tracing that circuit and checking for shorts it will be difficult. do you have or can get a short detector this tool makes jobs like this allot easier to locate the source of the problem and are not that expensive. you simply put the capacitor in place of the fuse and it will click every time the short would blow that fuse and with th e meter you run it along the wiring and watch the arrow it will vibrate faster as you get close to the problem and stop if you passed it .with out it is a pain staking process.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the alt. and voltage reg . then drove down the driveway and fuse blew . could you tell me where there is a capacitor in the truck. Someone said it could be the coil causing this problem ? But the engine runs great and never just cuts off for no reason.

question this is going back a bit, does your distributor have points in it or is it an electronic ignition. could you take a picture of the engine and send it to me on here/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has electronic dist.

ok I will check a few things and get back to you tomorrow if that's ok

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician