Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

We were given a 1997 Toyota Corolla. The car has an

Customer Question
We were given a 1997...
We were given a 1997 Toyota Corolla. The car has an aftermarket Pioneer radio that would not come on. I took the radio out of the dash to make sure all connections were secure. Some were not and I resecured them with appropriate connectors. When I reconnected the battery, the radio still would not come on, but all of my other electrical dash features(headlights, turn signals, A/C fan,etc) do. The big problem though, is that I can't get the key to turn past ACC and to the LOCK position so I can remove the key. The engine goes off, but I can't get the key out of the ignition. When I disconnect the battery again, the key easily moves to the LOCK position and the key slides right out.When I reconnected the wiring, I reconnected each wire according to how I found them. That's when I first figured out I couldn't get the key out.According to the Toyota color coding some of those Pioneer wires were not connected to the correct Toyota radio wires, so I reconnected them again as follows.Toyota: Blue/yellow(battery) to yellow Pioneer
Gray(ignition/accessory) to red Pioneer
Black(ground) to black PioneerStill had the problem.What did I do? How can I fix it?
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Toyota Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: I have checked all the fuses. The radio fuse was missing and I replaced it. Some of my other fuses were the incorrect size and I replaced them with correct size.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We were given a 1997 Toyota Corolla. The car has an aftermarket Pioneer radio that would not come on. I took the radio out of the dash to make sure all connections were secure. Some were not and I resecured them with appropriate connectors. When I reconnected the battery, the radio still would not come on, but all of my other electrical dash features(headlights, turn signals, A/C fan,etc) do. The big problem though, is that I can't get the key to turn past ACC and to the LOCK position so I can remove the key. The engine goes off, but I can't get the key out of the ignition. When I disconnect the battery again, the key easily moves to the LOCK position and the key slides right out. When I reconnected the wiring, I reconnected each wire according to how I found them. That's when I first figured out I couldn't get the key out. According to the Toyota color coding some of those Pioneer wires were not connected to the correct Toyota radio wires, so I reconnected them again as follows. Toyota: Blue/yellow(battery) to yellow Pioneer Gray(ignition/accessory) to red Pioneer Black(ground) to black Pioneer Still had the problem. What did I do? How can I fix it?
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Toyota Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am hoping to fix it myself. I guess it will depend on what the mechanic tells me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/20/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Toyota Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Toyota Mechanic

What is the Pioneer Model Number?
Have you tested for Voltage + on the YELLOW & RED wires of the Pioneer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Even when I completely disconnect the Pioneer. I still can't get the key out with the battery connected

What is the Pioneer Model Number?
Test for Voltage + on the YELLOW & RED wires of the Pioneer & let me know what you find

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Even when I completely disconnect the Pioneer. I still can't get the key out with the battery connectedDoes it need to be connected to the Toyota wiring when I check it ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the radio doesn't work now, that's ok.My big concern is being able to get the key out of the ignition.

I asked "specific questions", so I can see what circuits are affected............
I asked what the Model Number of the Pioneer was twice

I cannot see, or touch your vehicle, so answering my questions is needed for me to post the best answer I can

.

Will OPT OUT & RELIST
Please do not respond to this, as it will Lock Question
IF someone else can help they will post here

thanks

Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. the problem your having is due to a faulty shift lock switch or modal. it is stuck in gear mode and sending a signal to the ignition lock solenoid that it's in gear.It is located in the console with the shiftier mechanism. Hope this helps your problem .If you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so. here are two pics that may help you , the location and what the shift lock controller looks like. check to make sure the switch is OK first on the shift lever.

hope that info helped and solved your problem , if so please rate my answer so I may help another but if you require further assistance let me know. thank you.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician