Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2008 sienna. VSC, check engine, and trac off lights came on

Customer Question
during a long road trip. JA...
2008 sienna. VSC, check engine, and trac off lights came on during a long road trip.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it stays on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it started having trouble shifting to higher gears while driving, it would kind of lurch. this is what got me really concerned. i took ot to my mechanic and he changed the batery.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: in general there have beensmall electrical glitches. such as when the doors are open and we are unloading the lights will flicker on and off.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
8/16/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

When the VSC light sets on this vehicle it indicates the presence of a trouble code in the computer. Did your mechanic scan the computer for trouble codes before changing the battery?

The VSC light can trigger for countless reasons so without a code to give you an idea where to look it will be difficult to know where to begin diagnosis.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I doubt it. They just told me I need a new transmission and that it will cost $3,000.

That's tough to determine from just a VSC light. How many miles does your vehicle have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
120,000

I don't know that I would condemn the transmission at only 120k miles. The sienna typically has a fairly robust transmission. I think I would wait for the VSC and check engine light to set again and then scan for trouble codes. It could be something as simple as needing a tune up-it it hasn't already been done (usually due at 100k).

Did you need any additional help with your vehicle? Please don't forge to rate if I have been of some assistance.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician