Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 2014 Toyota Tundra, and my tail lights aren't not

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2014 Toyota Tundra, and my tail lights aren't not turning on when I turn my headlights on. The bulbs do work when signaling, but Will not stay turned on steady . So I can't be seen at night. I checked the fuses and changed the bulbs already
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for allowing me to help you.Do you have a volt meter or test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good , because ours up here (Canada) is some times different then (US) modes, does your tail lights have red, clear and amber lenses or jus red and clear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The signal lights are clear, which are The same bulbs that remain lit at night to be seen. The brake light bulbs are also clear

If just d and clear they will be double filament bulbs, the brake and signal light will use one and the tail light will be on the other. Have you checked to see id you have power to the tail light socket yet when switch is turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is power , the brake lights do work. The tail lights are the same as the signals, when in turned the headlights on, the bulbs don't remain lit, but if I turn either signal, they do turn on. I already installed a new set of bulbs and still no luck

ok you may need to back prob the wiring to the fuse and relay check the connectors in the wiring from the left front kick panel to the back for power on tail light circuit.

Both tail lamps do not come on (Headlamps are normal).

1. TAIL fuse

2. TAIL relay (USA only)

3. Headlamp dimmer switch assy

4. Daytime running light relay (USA only)

5. Wire harness

The tail lamp relay is relay number B, 2md from the left in the RH junction box

15. TAILLAMP RELAY

(a) Measure the resistance according to the value(s) in the

table below.

Standard:

Tester connection Condition Specified resistance

3 – 5 Always 10 kW or higher

3 – 5

Apply B+ between terminals 1 and 2 Below 1 W

just checking in to see if you need any more assistance?