Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1994 Toyota Corolla 1.8 liter w/dual overhead camshafts has

1994 Toyota Corolla 1.8 liter...
1994 Toyota Corolla 1.8 liter w/dual overhead camshafts has just started valve train clicking/ticking noise at idle, seems to quiet down with acceleration load.
8/9/2016
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

have you done a manual engine oil pressure test??? It sounds like low oil pressure at idle and it raises when off idle.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have NOT done an oil pressure test. Just off idle does not eliminate noise--heavy acceleration and I might be wrong about that because I'm inside and can't distinguish between valve noise and engine noise. I ran it next to a high wall to test that.

ok, thanks.

I would definitely start with a manual test of oil pressure

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know how to do an oil pressure test. Please advise.

you need to remove the oil pressure switch which is located by the oil filter. then you need to get a gauge to insert into the hole the switch came out of. you can rent one at a parts store if you done have one. then start the car and check the pressure at idle and at 2000rpm. do this cold and hot engine

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm unable to do this. I'm 79 years old and unable to get to the oil filter area and remove the pressure switch. Any other ideas?

nope, not until we know what the oil pump is doing

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the oil pressure tested low I assume the pan would have to be dropped and the pump replaced--Yes?
Also, would the cam chain tensioner be the cause of the noise?

yes to the low pressure

yes because the tensioner is or works off oil pressure to take up the slack.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, Roy--I guess we are finished here since I'm unable to do the work needed and I don't have any assistance from a younger man. The info has been helpful at least as a diagnosis. Bye, Tom

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roy, the tensioner is spring loaded and uses no oil or oil pressure in its operation. Also the oil pressure must be adequate or the oil light on the dash would be on during idle.

oil light comes on at 7 lbs. that a very low pressure.

Tom, with the mileage, have the pan ever been down??? have you ever had the oil system flushed?? I am wondering if the pick up tube may have some debris around it.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roy, do you mean that the oil light goes OFF at 7psi? When it is off a positive pressure is sensed.
I bought the car 8000 miles ago so I don't know if the pan has been off. The oil pump tube has a screen around it and although it could have particles around it, there must not be enough to keep the pump from producing oil pressure and keeping the cam chain lubricated. Any particles not screened out at the pump would be caught in the oil filter. What else would you suggest?

light goes on at 7lbs.

debris in the oil pan can block the pick up especially with the miles you indicated and that will lower the oil pressure from low amount of oil picked up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, the oil light goes on when the oil pressure is 7psi or less. The light has never come on while the engine is running.
The timing belt was replaced by the previous owner just before I bought the car ant the tensioner was replaced at the same time. That part was from Advance Auto, a big supplier of chinese auto parts as you know. That's why I suspect the tensioner. But if you get past the oil pressure theory, what else would you look at?

ok, but you can still have low oil pressure.

noisy chain from the tensioner. hard for me to guess as I am here and not there and I cannot hear it at all

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I could call you on my cell phone and move the phone around the engine but I'm thinking all you would hear is the same valve rattle type noise wherever the phone was placed. Does a phone call cost an extra $26.00--the page isn't clear on that.

the other thing I was thinking about is the actual tension of the belt. if it is a little loose it will make noise.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roy, the timing belt is a toothed-rubber belt, not a metallic chain like the camshaft chain.

it can still flex from not being taunt or very tight.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roy, the timing belt controls the ignition sequence in this engine and is not related to the valve train system. The noise is in the valve train from the crankshaft gear through the cam chain around the cam gears and back to the crank. The valves don't rattle when they are in tension and that tension is maintained by the tensioner against the chain on the left side of the front case. Tensioners need to be pre-loaded or compressed before being installed and and improper installation could cause an early failure. And a defective part is also in question--would you agree?

yes it is connected to the valve train. it turns the camshafts on top of the motor. it is directly connected to the valve train.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roy, this conversation has come to an end. I do not believe you have a complete understanding or experience with the Toyota engine involved. As a result you have not given me any conclusive or useful advice as to the cause of the engine problem first described. This conversation has been about engine diagnosis and although I am personally unable to remove and replace parts of my engine at your suggestion, your theories are not valid for this engine. You might have excellent experience in other engines but that experience has not helped me in any way. I came to you for a second opinion (mine being the first) and you have not offered any valid alternative opinions based in fact.
As a result, I will ask Just Answers to not charge me for this experience especially since I have nothing to show for it.

I have a complete understanding of the toyota. you have no idea who I am. I have been in the fiel 50 years and grew up with that engine.

I am here to give advice, not fix your car for you. I am not there to diag your car failure for you at all. giving advice based on your input is my job and I have been doing that even with you dis agreeing with me on my conclusions. if you know more than me on car repair, then good, I hope you figure it out. you at least have the advantage of seeing and hearing the issue.

I have helped you and given you good info. you have to be willing to accept it for face value based on your input and my experience. I dont get paid unless you accept my answers. the site is who gets paid and I only get a small portion of what you are charged. I do work for free as I feel you never did when you worked. this is a supplemental job for us guys who try to help people.

Good luck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took apart a Ford flathead engine apart at age 14, 1952 and went on to build high performance engines through the 60s and 70s but I don't consider myself an expert on Toyota engines and that's why I asked for help in diagnosing my Toyota engine problem. In 1983 the first Toyota DOHC engine was introduced in the US so I doubt that you have 50 years experience with that engine and the valve train was considerably different from the -R engines that proceeded it. With all that said, I thank you for the conversation and hope, with your years of experience, you can help another motorist in the future.

I have helped thousands over my time and will continue to do so

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest