Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia limited with 218K miles. After

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia limited with 218K miles. After warming up, I hear a loud fan noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, going away when it gets to 4th. Would this be a fan clutch issue?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: It seems to shift ok. It does seem to be less if I depress the accelerator lightly.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would probably bring it to a mechanic. I tried spraying belt conditioner on the belts with no effect.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just bought the vehicle.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello Customer and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

The type of noise you are describing dose sound like you are ha a clutch fan concern and in most cases the fix is to replace it. The sound will very with engine RPM and can get louder when the fan stays locked up when it should not be. If you are not having any cooling system problem then I would consider replacing the clutch assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.