Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2001 camry 4 cyl. I have a check engine light on

Customer Question
and a fault code that...
i have a 2001 camry 4 cyl. I have a check engine light on and a fault code that says I have low vacumn. I've replaced the egr and the vacumn item next to it. The item connected to the EGR is clear and the vacumn tube going down from the EGR is clear. What do I check for now AND how do I test to see if other items are defective?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
8/3/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 1 year ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

May I have the actual "p-code" associated with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have that info. My car is in a service garage and these guys (legit garage) can't seem to figure out the solution

Ah. I see. Ok. There is a very common fail item associated with this. The more common problem here is the VSV (vacuum switching valve) for the EGR. It's located on the side of the engine closest to the windshield, about half-way down, behind the exhaust manifold (which is the reason it fails so much). Best access is through the passenger's side wheel well, working upwards on an angle. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the vacuum line to the VSV for any cracks, holes or disconnections. If the visual insepction checks ok... repalcing the"VSV for EGR" usually solves the problem. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PO 400

P0400 is not a valid code for a 2001 Camry 4-cylinder. I'd be willing to bet the code is P0401. Seen this a million times. It's the VSV for EGR.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PO 401

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.

Would you like an image location view of the VSV? Any other questions you have that I may have missed?

There is also a quick test procedure with the use of an Ohms meter that can verify the VSV is faulty before replacement.If you need those specs to provide to the shop, I can provide those.

..

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see how you made out with this? Did replacing the VSV for EGR solve the problem? Were there any other questions you had on this issue? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did what you suggested, it DIDN'T work

Replacing the VSV for EGR didn't solve the problem? I'm surprised. It's the main cause of a P0401 just about all of the time. Do you have access to testing equipment so I can send you the diagnostic flow chart for this code?

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -