scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

There is a problem with the transmission "P" lock mechanism

Customer Question

there is a problem with the transmission "P" lock mechanism and the car will not start. Battery problem?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: No but I will check. Car sat two weeks without a start.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2008 prius
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just got online and looked up what the error message meant. I haven't tried anything.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Yes this is usually the result of a drained 12 volt battery. The park mechanism is controlled by the 12 volt system in the vehicle, if the battery is low the vehicle cant actually engage park. First put the e-brake on to make sure the car doesn't roll. Shut the car off and charge the battery. If you don't have a charger, it can also be jump started with conventional jumper cables. There is a jump start positive terminal located under the hood in the fuse box, this can also be used to connect a charger. I attached a picture of the terminal.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you still need assistance with this?

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Please accept my answer if it has helped, if you need further assistance please post follow up questions so I can assist further. If you accept my answer please rate the level of service provided today.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

hi just checking in with you to see if you still need assistance with this.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.