Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I replaced the battery and now my prius has the red

Customer Question

I replaced the battery and now my prius has the red triangle
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: its not leaking I have and have tested it
JA: What year is your Prius?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for posting

which battery was replaced? The 12 volt auxiliary or the HV battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the 12 volt auxiliary battery, to add some detail the battery had 13.4 volts. and I have tried to reset it several times (if you want to call it a reset) by disconnecting the battery and discharging the capacitors by pushing the brakes. when I start the car it everything is good for 10 minutes then the red triangle pops up along with the check engine light. the car will run but sometimes it does random things like wont accelerate.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply,

The real problem here is the check engine light being on, whenever that happens the hybrid vehicle computer has trouble communicating with the engine control system and that's why the red triangle light turns on, so the priority here is to find out why the check engine light is on and then go from there.

Most auto parts stores like Autozone or O Reilly can scan the engine computer and give you the code information and they do this at no charge, after you have this information you can reply back here to me and I can figure out what the cause of this is. There is no urgency and you can reply tomorrow or later if you need more time.