Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Suddenly the touchscreen radio sometimes won't respond to

Customer Question
Hello – suddenly the touchscreen...
Hello – suddenly the touchscreen radio sometimes won't respond to touches and also skips channels like scanning. It is very random and sometimes the controls on the steering wheel will work, sometimes not. Just started Sunday when I picked it up from having new tires put on. Any thoughts?
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Not yet. But I will.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2013 highlander
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. Have not really had time to look. Manual didn't address it. Would like to fix myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 day by:
8/4/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you still need help? How many miles are on the car? Do you have the small radio number off of the unit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
36405 miles. Where do I find the radio number?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see by 57055 On the front
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As of yesterday it will not even turn on

Remove the positive and negative battery cable isolate them from the battery then take a jumper wire in place across the two ends of the battery cables. Let set for about five minutes and remove the jumper wire and reinstall the battery cables see if the radio will power on at that point if it does go into the settings and general tab go down to software update and let me know what the software ID number is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not 100% dead. Does that matter? Like the screen is lit up and says "audio off" just like if I turned it off myself. Weird thing is now it won't turn on when I press it.

We still need to do a hard reset on the system follow the directions on the battery disconnect let me know how that goes make sure the battery is fully charged. We need to get the radio to restart. Can you shoot me a picture of the front display of the radio.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just so I understand the reset process – unhook the battery cables and then hook a jumper cable to each end of the battery cable ? So the jumper cable is basically linking the battery cables together ?

Yes that is correct. This will drain all the capacitors and memories in all of the onboard systems. It essentially is considered a hard reset. After about five or 10 minutes and then remove the jumper wire and connect the battery cables backup see if the radio will then respond and allow you go through the menu system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey man – finally got around to trying this and I thought it worked for a minute but it didn't. Still jumping around and skipping stations at random. Sometimes the touchscreen works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the buttons on the wheel work sometimes they don't. Only button on the actual stereo that works is the power button but that is not all the time either. Will probably just go to the dealership and see what they say.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess it really didn't work because I did not have to reset any of my radio stations. They were all still safe when I turn the car back on.

The radio has a backup that does not allow the radio stations to be zeroed out if the power supply is removed. This does not mean the memory is far as the random-access memory in the computers will clear. If it is at least turning on then randomly doing goofy things you will need the software update done by the dealer. 90% of the time it will resolve most of the problems you are having. If that does not do it the unit will have to be replaced.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician