Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

16 highlander rear windows wont work from driver switch,

Customer Question
16 highlander rear windows wont...
16 highlander rear windows wont work from driver switch
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes
JA: What year is your Highlander?
Customer: 2016
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Aftermarket overhead and remote start
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
8/1/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Highlander.

Does the passenger side front window work from the drivers switch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
fronts work from driver switch

Ok, on the drivers switch is a cancel button that doesn't allow the other widows to work, press that and then retry the other windows.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK tried that rear window still won't work on any switch. The RR window won't work from its own switch but the LR window will work on its switch. Some forums I've found say this is a problem after a battery change and require a reinitialization but I cannot find the prosses

The process would be to (with all windows fully up) hold down the drivers front window till it goes all the way down and continue to hold it for 3 seconds. The hold it up the same way. Repeat this for the passenger side front window and then retry the other windows. This video may help.

Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K watched the video and tried it. Still no function from rear windows. I also tried a battery pull

Ok, I will open this back up for other Experts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK thank you for your help
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

hi my name is ***** ***** I help you. we had recalls on the master switches for a few of our models so ask your dealer to check if your vehicles vin number is ***** this sure looks like a master switch issue ,all the windows go through it. and it's too low mileage and age to have a wiring problem. hope this helps good luck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks I will try that. I did try the learn routine from the dealer. It was diffrent from the one in the video. The car is to new for my maxme scanner. I would really like to see if the car can monitor the window switches.

the only time the scanners can monitor the windows if it has a customization mode built into the vehicle , that allows you to modify the operation of certain options to suet your needs

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i understand. The car is right of the truck! Maybe they didnt set up or messed up the dealer PDI right? Either way ill talk to the dealer tomorrow. Thank you

correct , the sales person should have walked you through all the options and accessories explaining how they worked , plus if you had any questions the service department should have any resolve for you, they can better tell you if it's just a programing issue in the customization area or not .Being that new I'm sure it's something simple like that. delivery communication with you would have eliminated this when you picked up your vehicle. good luck and let us no how you make out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I updated my scanner and was able to roll up and down the front windows with it, but not the rears. Scanner said it lost communication with bcm b. The dealer got me fuse locations and a little wiring. Turned out the fuse for body control module B blew. It is one of the three 30A fuses on the side of the underdash fuse box. I replaced it with a 10A and got it to blow by rolling up the real windows and holding the switch. Then replaced it with a 30A and it didnt blow. Any chance a 30A cartridge fuse be made bad ?

for operating the windows it should be at least a 20-30 amp, are the windows operating now ?

you said this vehicle is right off the truck new? then they obviously miss something on the PDI, is that the only thing that doesn't work? the cancel switch on the master switch would kill all other windows but not the driver's it's just a safety feature. Did you ask if your vehicle has the customization feature in it's ECU ? THAT'S A VERY POSSIBILITY IT'S SET THAT WAY ONE OTHER QUESTION, DID THEY WORK BEFORE YOU HAD THE AFTERMARKET REMOTE INSTALLED?

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician