Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

My 2002 Toyota Camry/Solara has the SDS panel lite blinking

Customer Question

My 2002 Toyota Camry/Solara has the SDS panel lite blinking constantly while car is running. I'm well aware, thanks to "Just Answer", of how to safely disarm and Arm the SDS. I have no intentions of DIY repairing of the SDS. Unless, it might be the SDS electrical Relay which can only be purchased from a Toyota dealer. How can I locate the Relay? John
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 100K miles, fairly new battery
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, if it just involves switching out the Relay. Otherwise I will have it repaired by professionals, not Toyota dealer...way too expensive. So far, searched the fuse boxes and U tubed for info.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: None that I can think of
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

What exactly do you mean by SDS lite? Can you post a picture of this light is flashing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The SDS light is a red symbol on the dash instrument panel. The Symbol is shaped like a seated passenger with a airbag discharged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot post a picture, so, I have just described the instrument panel blinking red light shaped like a seated passenger with a discharged airbag. I'm waiting for a response
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

That symbol is called the SRS light supplemental restraint system. This is the airbag light. Just to clarify you're saying that when you start the car up the light goes from being illuminated to flashing? When you first turn the key on the light is designed to stay on for about six seconds as it does a self test that should go out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I misread the lettering. When I start the engine and drive, the light blinks until I turn the engine off. The owners manual says take into the dealer. However, Advance Auto suggests that I might just have to change the relay to solve the problem. I know how to safely disarm theSRS but don't know the location of the relay in the vehicle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the Relay part number either
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

The information that advance gave you is not accurate. There is no relay that controls the slight the SRS ECU or ECM as some people call it is one complete module under the instrument panel and center console area. Anytime the SRS light is on or flashes indicates there's a malfunction in the airbag system. Without having the specific diagnostic codes from the system is hard to say for sure what's going on. If you don't have diagnostic test equipment you will need to visit your local dealer to have them check for codes.You can check for codes using a jumper wire but the method is very difficult to explain how to do and finding the right pins can be tricky. If that something you think you might want to try I can get you further information otherwise it's best to leave the SRS systems to someone that knows how to deal with them so that you don't create a problem with the airbags.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'll take it to a professional. Advance Auto definitely ill advised me by suggesting that I might save a lot of money and just change the fuse. They later change the part description from fuse to relay. I now realize this is out of my DIY realm. Thanks again
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided you at three or higher. Once you visit the dealer let me know if you need any other input on what is wrong with the system.