Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra. I drove it a while with the

Customer Question
I have a 2000 Toyota...
I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra. I drove it for quite a while with the check engine light on last year. I got that fixed (oxygen sensor) last fall (2015).
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: No issues with the light any more but....
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I went to get it smogged in California and they told me it would not pass. so I took it to my mechanic and he said we had to fix the exhaust manifold-which we did and replaced with a new one. So I took it to be smogged and they said it would not pass. So I am already into this for $800 and now they say it might be the catalytic converter? does that sound right?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/28/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, did the smog station give you a particular reason why it would not pass? Was it because the emissions were too high or the monitors did not complete? A bad cat converter will usually turn the check engine light on.

What was wrong with the exhaust manifold?

V6 or V8?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician