Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

Front passenger tire blew out and damaged the wiring harness

Customer Question

Front passenger tire blew out and damaged the wiring harness under above he wheel. I replaced the damaged wiring harness but the gauges, ac, alternator, and gear shift will still not work
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: probably the original one. They all were working fine until the wiring harness was damaged
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1998 camry
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. Replaced damaged wiring harness with a new one
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. There are three fuse located in the interior fuse panel that can affect the charging system and the gauges that I would start first with making sure you have power in and out of them. See them in the link below. Check these for me and post back with your results and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alternator%20Jul%2028.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea checked and replaced fuses under the dash, still nothing. I was wondering if it was possible that something else burned out that could be controlling these items
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are you getting power in and out of these fuse with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened to me while driving in Florida and I live in Tennessee. I will check when I get back there on Monday.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes please do, make sure the fuse have power in and out of them and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking. Once i check it out to see if power is coming in and out of the fuses and they are, what is the next thing to check? or if not, what can i check from there?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you have power in and out of the fuses then the engine should start and the alternator should charge. This needs to be addressed first .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine starts but will drain the battery because the alternator is not recharging the battery.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes and if you look at the wiring diagram I sent you you will see that the fuses mentioned power the alternator and the charging system and if any one of then is blown or have no power to them the alternator will not charge and that why this needs to be checked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will print and take it with me on monday
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay Im here if need be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Ron, I'm looking at the wiring diagram. Even though the alternator is only one of the issues, what else could cause the AC, gauges, and shift lock not to work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the car's computer been damaged?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its not likely if the engine starts and runs.